Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Mikey.....a quick question...... was reading a number of old post and memorizing your postings...... There is a mention of a wax lubricant applied to the grinding belts...... what is it exactly...... any need for lub on the glass plateen side...? concerned with the belts slipping under grinding pressure.

Bob C.

Mikey.....a quick question...... was reading a number of old post and memorizing your postings...... There is a mention of a wax lubricant applied to the grinding belts...... what is it exactly...... any need for lub on the glass plateen side...? concerned with the belts slipping under grinding pressure.

Bob C.

I mean this stuff: https://www.amazon.ca/Trend-TRENDIW...518205786&sr=8-1&keywords=wax+stick+lubricant

It is applied to the belt as it is running. You only need a little - push it lightly into the belt for a few seconds. You do NOT apply it to the platen side of the belt, only on the abrasive side. It really helps the belt to cut cooler, faster and extends belt life. You can use it as a lube for drilling, tapping and to lube your hacksaw and bandsaw blades. One stick will last a long, long time.

Just did a quick search on the web and found it listed right next to K-Y jelly....Intimate lubricant....... You would not want to get those two mixed up.

One quicky.......????

How much pressure should the idler wheel exert on the belt....enough to track but not enough to break it........ on car fan belt we go by deflection over a set length of the belt........

Lots of fiddling today to square up the tube portion against the jack shaft at the back ....have not hung the motor underneath but I am satisfied by turning the drive belt by hand that it is reasonably lined up but concerned that the idler pulley is not exerting enough pressure on the belt.

I have a gas strut that borders on too long and dual springs that I think are too soft.

Now the jack shaft step pulley did not come with the grub screws.....( cheap Ba*****) ......
........and the grub I got is imperial and the pulley from China is metric.....Arrrghhh!!!

Well we decided to call it quits..... roads are getting bad with freezing rain so we shut it down.

Cheers......

PS.... you know it is cold when you need to flash the floor drill chuck with the propane torch to loosen up the lub in the chuck so it will turn easier by hand......... the drill happens to be farthest away from Lucifer which was roaring on hard wood and dripping engine oil.

Ok, after months of anticipation I've turned my first bits.

I started off with Mikey's square tool. I messed up my first attempt by grinding the top angle in the wrong direction, but luckily I bought the special beginners blanks that come with two ends, and think I got it right on my second attempt.

The top angle was my biggest challenge, it is an awkward angle on the grinder. First attempt I got mixed up and ground from the left putting the slope in the wrong direction.

Mikey your instructions worked great. I printed them out and just followed along step by step.

I just used a small piece of scrap 2x4 to push the bit against the wheel. That worked, but I think I'll cut it down into a 2x2 or 1x2 for the future. I was really surprised at how fast the grinder removed the metal. I think it only took me about 10 minutes to complete both the mistake and its replacement.

I'll need additional practice to get comfortable, but I think my first (ahem, second) attempt created a functional tool so I'm pretty happy. I fully expected to trash 4 or 5 blanks figuring stuff out. Helps to have good instructions.

Square1.jpg

square 2.jpg

square 3.jpg

square 4.jpg

Congratulations, Aaron! That looks good for your very "second" grind. Trust me, I know it isn't easy the first time but you done good! In time, tool grinding will be very easy for you.

How does the tool cut?

I've been working outside getting the work bench built so I could mount the grinder, but that left a pile of tools in front of the indoor workbench and the lathe. I'll be getting the shop cleaned up tomorrow and try it out. I will let you know how that turns out.

Looking good Aaron. Did you end up going with a 8” bench grinder or a belt grinder? Your building a new grinding bench, show it off, we like looking at pics!!

Looking good Aaron. Did you end up going with a 8” bench grinder or a belt grinder? Your building a new grinding bench, show it off, we like looking at pics!!

Yep, I went with the 8" Rikon 1hp grinder that several suggested. That is a nice grinder, smooth, fairly quiet and it took the metal right off. Like most grinders the tool rests leave something to be desired. Would be nice to have something larger, particularly for grinding that top angle but they are at least stable and will work until I can make something better.

I'm building a work bench, but withholding photos until it is finished. I did post the detachable mount I made for the grinder though, which is attached to the new bench.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/quick-release-grinder-mount.67170/

Back