Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Thanks for all the help Mike! Great thread here. I'm going to need to download and print a new copy of the Book of Mike. :D

I also discovered that my honing is improved, I found a few shallow cuts on the thumb I used for testing the edge and cleaning the crud off so I can see the edge. Going to need to switch to a paper towel for cleaning. :) I knew I should, but I didn't expect it to be that sharp. My grandfather would slap me upside the head, he taught me sharpen knives safer than that.

Took a first pass. Not bad...

20180405_134923.jpg

And my tool is apparently magnetic... :D

20180405_134934.jpg

I almost always have small unintentional cuts somewhere after honing. My tools are pretty sharp when I'm done and I usually don't feel cuts; I just see blood on the tool. :(

CI induces a magnetic field when cut so yeah, the splinters will stick on like that. I use a demagnetizer when it gets to the point where it bugs me.

You need to play with the speeds and your tool's lead angle. There is a combination that will produce a really nice finish but still cuts well. Every tool is different so you need to mess with it.

You're not kidding about durability. I can see why you would like it on stainless. I can't tell any difference on the tool after the work. Not that it really did all that much work, just turning that center diameter down about 0.1". I did mess with speeds and angles and got a nice finish on the CI. The chuck is mounted on it now and running very well.

If people want to do the @mikey tool bit challenge, let's pick a material and I'll get some to practice on and grind the test bit. Would 4140 be a good choice?

4140 would be a very good choice. It is commonly used in a hobby shop.

1144 is also common; if you have not worked with 1144, you should try it.

Or you can go with O-1 tool steel or whatever.

T15 has a good amount of Tungsten in it so it can run at pretty high temperatures and is abrasion-resistant. The abrasion resistance is evident when you grind it, as you now know.

It took a few sessions tho the last 2 weeks, and quite a few re-readings, but I finally made it through this. Did missed the part 2 as it was info overload. What a fantastic thread!
Are we still putting pic up as it gets pass round?

Mikey you have don a really good thing on here.

If there any Aust on here I still lokking for some thing better then buy the HSS tools from https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-3-8-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But the sipping is 2x the price so its a no go for me.

It took a few sessions tho the last 2 weeks, and quite a few re-readings, but I finally made it through this. Did missed the part 2 as it was info overload. What a fantastic thread!
Are we still putting pic up as it gets pass round?

Mikey you have don a really good thing on here.

If there any Aust on here I still lokking for some thing better then buy the HSS tools from https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-3-8-x-3-HSS-Square-tool-bits-for-69-00-HS-2BT-38-new/311079480439?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But the sipping is 2x the price so its a no go for me.

Thanks for the kind words, Tombstone, and yeah, we really want to see your tools! I hope they work as well for you as they do for me, and that they help you enjoy this great hobby.

Have not seen any photos for awhile. who's that the HSS tolls right now?

Last edited:
Back