Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Came out well, Tony. Its a totally different experience grinding on a belt sander vs a bench grinder.

May I suggest you buy your boring bar instead of grinding one from your tool blank? If you don't do a lot of boring then I suggest you buy a solid carbide bar from Micro 100. They can be found on ebay if you're lucky or on Amazon. I don't feel that it is worth the time and effort to grind boring bars from square bits because your bore depth capacity is only about 4 times the smallest diameter of the bar; a solid carbide bar will go twice the depth easily.

When you grind your threading tool, be very, very fussy about the 60 degree angle. It has to be precise. I assume you have a fishtail gauge, right? If so, confirm the angles under magnification and don't forget to put a tiny flat at the tip to prevent it from cracking off. Hone it until it is razor sharp and it will cut threads way better than an inserted carbide tool will.

Keep at it. You're off to a very good start!

Tony,
Mikey got me on the Micro100 boring bars, since I have a need for a very small one. Download their catalog and happy reading; it's fascinating. IIRC the regular boring bars were the first section. Then, buy from KBC Tools. When I found it on Amazon their delivery date was months into the future; I think KBC has the Amazon relationship so they have it, but don't actually stock it. I got it from KBC in a couple of days. My little boring bar is an incredibly elegant piece of carbide, beautifully tooled.
Tim

Used my knife bit to make a pillar for a rear action screw. I still need to add more radius to the nose. I used a long steel female standoff and drilled the center to 1/4" with the tailstock.

jspMZ2oh.jpg

I then cut a section off and faced the ends to length and glued the pillar into the stock
kJPMppDh.jpg

Here's how a 1/4"x28 screw will sit inside...
JOVNjqRh.jpg

The knife tool is working well and I used it to face some other parts I had to cut to length as well.

Tony.

Yeah, the knife tool does not work that well for general turning but it works pretty good for facing cuts or with very light turning cuts. Glad its working for you, Tony.

Yeah, I can get three to five pillars from that single standoff. I think I’ve got four of them.

You probably can’t see it from that camera angle but I have the tool angled maybe 10 or 15 degrees pointed back toward the tailstock. It was cutting pretty nice with that angle.

Tony.

You probably can’t see it from that camera angle but I have the tool angled maybe 10 or 15 degrees pointed back toward the tailstock. It was cutting pretty nice with that angle.

Tony.

Tony,

The scheme you mentioned (I learned from Mikey) works very well even on indexable carbide inserts.

nez

I need to make more tool holders for my Norman style QCTP but didn't know many I should make. So I decided to go through this entire thread and make a list of the different types of tool bits. Here is the list of the basic tool bits and some not so basic that are discussed in this thread. Included is the page/post # so you can easily find them.

Right hand turning. Page 4 Post 102
Left hand turning. Page 4 Post 102, Page 5 Post 129
Knife tool. Page 4 Post 102, Page 5 Post 135
Threading tool. Page 4 Post 102, Page 5 Post 136
Fly cutting tool. Page 5 Post 141
Honing tool bits Page 7 Post 193
Sheer tool. Page 11 Post 324. Page 12 Post 338
Round nose tool. Page 15 Post 435

Thanks for that!

So, I'm still a rookie...what HSS tool do you guys use for chamfers? I see Youtube videos all the time where they use the edge of a diamond-shaped carbide tool. I'm not sure I've ever seen a video where they cut a chamfer with a HSS tool.

Craig

Back