Moving QCTP shaft on a PM1127 lathe.. good or bad idea?

Something to consider if you intend on moving your tool post mounting stud to that location is it may weaken the compound to the point of failure through the difference in rigidity. So even if you could get it to fit in that location without interfering with the leadscrew you may be adding to your problems instead of solving them.

I don't know who thought is was a good idea to make a compound with out a T slot. That said if I had one, A four way tool post would be my choice.

No way I would modify my compound like that but that's just me. I use an extended live center too but when I need more reach I just use a MT3 extension. It has saved the day many times.

20190827_163824-1024x612.jpg

My tail stock is MT3 but I also use MT2 live centers with a sleeve when needed cause they're smaller.

20170202_131341-1024x575.jpg20190818_153905-1024x576.jpg

Don't know if this idea will help. Since you refer to the DRO scale being in the way - Mr. Pragmatic Lee mounted the scale of his DRO on the backside of the cross slide, freeing up that space. He made a video about it.

Do you guys have any recommenations for MT3 live centers with a very long nose? I think that's my best solution for this issue.

Hi Pcmaker. Do you plan to do a lot of these? I only did one part, and I used a ghetto setup involving a drill chuck and a rod with a conical point on the end. I just used oil on the center hole and took it easy. I figured that I would get an extended point live center, but the need never came up.

This might also work. It is a thinner version of a live center: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/revolving-centres.html

The one I linked is what I recommend in the 3MT version. The body is diameter is only 1.85" and the length of the body and extended point is 3.74", so about 4" from the end of the tailstock ram.

This is a less expensive alternative with a larger nose/body, but I prefer a smaller nose of the previous one. There are also extended point dead centers but they are shorter than a live center type.

The Dickson toolposts would mount tools on 3 sides. I don't know why Aloris and others didn't follow that example.

Buy or make a mt2 or mt3 to mt3 extension for the use with a dead center.

My vote is with darkzero. No way would I do that. I've probably seen a thousand lathes in my life, and never seen one modded like you are suggesting. Perhaps it would be suitable for some special job - but for general purpose machining there are a number of methods to turn a piece from end to end.

As far as a post vs. T-slot? Both my lathes have the mounting post - never had any trouble getting the cutting tool to where it can do the job.

Regarding the fit of the QCTP on the mounting bolt - make yourself a nice mounting post. Then you can have one with whatever fit makes you happy. I ended up making a new center bolt as part of converting to them to a QCTP. No big deal if you have a lathe.

Let us know how you make out. David

Back