Moving QCTP shaft on a PM1127 lathe.. good or bad idea?

My limited expertise says try a 4 way tool holder. Not having read all the posts yet but will moving the tool post back affect the 29.5` cutting angle? After mulling it over I think not. You may want a good protractor however.
Have a good day
Ray

A couple of pictures of your set up showing the interference would really help the pros on here give you some guidance on possible solutions to the problem.

On my tool block I have threaded post holes in 3 locations. One near lathe centerline and closer to headstock, one further from the centerline (like you propose), and another near near lathe centerline but closer to the tailstock. The last one is for sneaking a tool in between the part and the tailstock.

I've been able to work through it. Still waiting on my long nosed live center but they gotta ship it all the way from Hong Kong and I won't be getting it until next month. If I extend my tailstock quill all the way out and turn my QCTP to the right, I can meet the end of the work piece with my cutting tool.

The large diameter of the live center is hitting my QCTP, though, if the work piece gets to a certain diameter small.

Pcmaker, let us know how the new centre turned out!

I would be very reluctant to drill and tap the compound slide, You very likely will create a weakness that will get you at some later stage. It depends on how many of these pieces you need to make. If only a few, you don't want to be modifying your lathe, there are other ways, can you turn it between centers? and then end for end the piece.

Make a modified tool post or try using a standard 4 way tool post. Try swinging the compound slide to be parallel with cross slide you might get enough room then. That conical center looks a rather large, is that part of the problem, Do you have a smaller one that will work. Can you make a plug that is a neat fit in the end of the cylinder. with the OD a little less than the finished size of the workpiece, with a centre hole in the end, thus extending the length of the work piece.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Back