music

This is unreal, I followed Eric Clapton from John Mayall to Cream then a solo artist.
In the UK virtually all the best musicians of that era went through the John Mayall Blues breakers, I have all his disks from those days.
Santana Abraxsis (sp?) was a fave of mine and Canned Heat is often played in my workshop today.
My youngest played sax at school and was always the soloist but quit when he went to uni (he will regret that when he's older) and my eldest has only just stopped singing in his band, too niche market nowadays as he does punk, it dont look right at 39 :laughing:

How about gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon?
There are many musicians or bands that seem to come in and out of focus for me. Frank Zappa was one, Gong was another. Both had albums before and after "focus" that I didn't care for, but the in focus albums were killer. The two albums that totally did it for me were "Apostrophe" and "One Size Fits All". I need the majority of an album to "good" not just one or two songs and Frank hit it out of the park with those two IMHO. I got to see him do mostly those two albums in concert at the Stanford U. auditorium. I was totally prepared to be dissapointed because I was sure his had to be studio material and nobody could pull it off exactly like the album live. Boy was I wrong.

In an interview Frank said he spent a lot of his time when on the road looking for musicians who could read music well enough to execute his music properly. You have a tendency to think he's just funny with titles like "Watch Out where The Huskies Go" and "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" but the music is insane! Where most stuff repeats often Zappa's is one crazy bar after another and changing time too. You have to not only have insane chops, you have to have incredible memory and reading skills. It's no wonder his personnel changed all the time :)

yea, I've watched them too. Actually found them on Pandora and marked them as one of my favorites.

It’s kinda sad Chris Stapleton has gone to country. Don’t blame him.

But like the old joke goes when a guy who won the lottery was asked what he was going to do.

He replied play Bluegrass professionally until the money runs out.

As a Certified Old Fart, I often find today’s music a bit … not for me. Then YouTube tossed me something surprising. A really great guitarist accompanying a great singer, covering Fever, not many versions come close to Peggy Lee, but this one does.
Turns out they both have their own channels with both covers and original material.
It’s enough to restore one’s faith.

When I was young I vowed I would always pay attention to new (young) music. I have been impressed with SOME of the current artists. If we just stay with what we grew up with, we are boring, and I am boring enough... I hope to show you some music that might change your mind.
I still listen to music from the 50s ,60s, 70s, 80s, 90s... and there are some cool artists out there. I even like some of Eminem cleaned up a bit...
I don't think every word has to be a curse word, but if you listen to his stuff, you get a picture of his life.

My backyard party band . Paul the banjo player was head of the bluegrass HOF down in Nashville . :encourage: Man did we have some parties over the years ! ( from what I remember ) :big grin:

Back