MX-600A 9"x24" mini lathe

as follow up this is an example of the communications that i have consistently received from this seller. to the point, courteous, helpful and interested in creating good customer relationships. I will add that all of this occurred during the free return period soooo!
Your previous message​
thank you this will be acceptable and yes i will leave you a good comment.​

Thank you for your reply.

Rest assured that we will work diligently to make our listing more accurate and will conduct a thorough product examination, incorporating any necessary improvements.

We have arranged a replacement center rest for you. Under normal conditions, it will take 3-7 business days to arrive. Once a tracking number is available, we will inform you.

Furthermore, we have issued a $180 refund to cover the cost of the steel compound slide. The funds will be credited back to your original payment source within 3-7 days.

If you are satisfied, would you please leave us a favorable comment?
It is greatly appreciated.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.​
im talking about this because most often only the negative experiences get reported.

Did some testing and the spindle runout is about .0005 1inch from the jaws, much better than I expected

Attachments

• IMG_5990.mov
    9.1 MB
  • IMG_5988.mov
    24.2 MB
  • IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 51
so did some testing with 3/4 hot rolled steel round bar, it will machine the bar well close to the chuck (with in the 6:1 ratio) and the follow rest they provided allows good to ok finnish out to about 15". the only thing that it will not do is part off the 3/4 bar, makes a good start but the aluminum compound flexes and all goes to heck quickly.
the replacement steady rest came in and it is about as bad as the first (easy fix). but the compound slide will have to go.

i tried some 5/16 brazed carbide tools and they end up too short with out shimming, i'm lazzzzzzzzy and the thought of shimming all my 5/16 tools makes me sleepy so 10mm will be my next test. my cheap amazon 0XA wedge type QCTP works well and i bought 10 spare tools holders from aliexpress, they fit fine but are a little lighter than the original chinese knockoffs, seem to work ok so far. this has been a fun experiment up until the HSS parting blade jammed and launched itself across the shop (I had to change my shorts and i need to check the roof for holes). thinking it was my cheap tool holder or my crappy tool grinding i put in my pre-ground accusize 1/2" HSS parting bit, it got about 3/4s as far as my hand ground parting blade before pulling itself into the part, jamming the lathe (twice). i will try the upside down parting trick next.

I received a k72-125 4 jaw independent chuck from Vevor
the 95mm register fits the spindle perfectly so now i need to drill and tap for a 3 bolt setup, it looks like the bolt hole diameter is the same. i have a dividing head on order to accurately drill the required holes. i will post photos later.

This is likely the lathe I would purchase today (if in the market). I like the large spindle bore - would be very useful for me.

The manufacturer missed a great opportunity to provide a thicker cross-slide with T-slots -- Instead of the large top-slide (compound) base. This is also the case on the other 8x (+/-) machines. The old 9x (as represented by the Grizzly G4000 has T-slots on the cross-slide - but only a 3/4" (nominal) spindle bore like the 7x mini-lathes.

I received a k72-125 4 jaw independent chuck from Vevor
That seems soooo cheap! How can the manufacturer make it for a profit, the retailer mark it up for a profit and pay for shipping at least several times by the time it gets sent to the final users? I have a 6" 3 jaw of that brand. It came as part of a package deal. It is better than it should be for the price.

This is likely the lathe I would purchase today (if in the market). I like the large spindle bore - would be very useful for me.

The manufacturer missed a great opportunity to provide a thicker cross-slide with T-slots -- Instead of the large top-slide (compound) base. This is also the case on the other 8x (+/-) machines. The old 9x (as represented by the Grizzly G4000 has T-slots on the cross-slide - but only a 3/4" (nominal) spindle bore like the 7x mini-lathes.
im working on plith to replace the compound and after that planning on reworking the top of the cross slide and rework the compound to make it more rigid.

That seems soooo cheap! How can the manufacturer make it for a profit, the retailer mark it up for a profit and pay for shipping at least several times by the time it gets sent to the final users? I have a 6" 3 jaw of that brand. It came as part of a package deal. It is better than it should be for the price.
they cut corners for sure, but at the end of the day it is a 5 inch 4 jaw

Last edited:
Back