My $2000.00 military surplus mill is alive

Wow, that looks just great.. color me green.

Fantastic. Oh and you suck! ;-)

Just found a fourth feed drive.

The spindle has a drive that raises and lowers it and even has a built in clutch mechanism.

Wonder if it would work for power tapping?

Another interesting feature. I can reverse the spindle motor mechanically and electrically. It has a forward reverse transmision (Two ranges) and I can also reverse the spindle motor at the main control panel.

I am learning as I go as there is no manual for this machine.

Can anyone suggest the type and weight of oil I should use in the 3 separate gear boxes?

I have oil in there that was in it when I started this thing up, I fear it is 30 years old.

Through the site glass it is still somewhat transparent and is above the add line. However I reallly would like to do a full oil change. The spec sheet on the side states to use "lubricating oil" Uhm yea, I got that. ;) the viscosity is pure gibberish to me.

20171201_163104.jpg

ISO 10 is correct for the specified oil. You should be looking for an anti wear (AW) hydraulic oil. Call your nearest petroleum products distributor (bulk plant.) Chevron/Texaco sells it, and probably others as well. The label says to change every 2000 hours, that machine sure does not look like it has had more than a small percentage of that use. Mineral oil does not go bad sitting in a tank. I would draw out a sample and see what it looks like and if it appears contaminated.

ISO 10?! That does seem awfully thin.
I would have to wonder if a decent ISO32 Transmission and Hydraulic (Farm Store) wouldn't be better.

It would not be good if you were off by a factor of 10, cST 9.5 at 40C is ISO10, but at 100C is ISO100. I would take a little out, if it pours like water then it is ISO10, if slightly viscous then it is more likely ISO100. Typically low speed gearboxes for drives would take an ISO100 or 75-90W gear oil, I have only seen an ISO10 "spindle oil" used for high speed applications "high speed bearings, machine tool spindles and some high performance hydraulics". If this is for drive gears, ISO10 would peobably be too thin to coat the gears.

ISO 10 is correct for the specification on the tag of the machine.

The plain bearing spindle on my B&S surface grinder uses Velocite #3 which is ISO 2. So do some big CNC machine spindles. No, that is not a typo. ISO 2. It is thinner than kerosene. If you use something thicker you WILL overheat and lock up the spindle. They are not making new spindles for antique machines...

Back