My $2000.00 military surplus mill is alive

Ah I understand now. ISO2 - pheew. I thought we were looking at gear boxes, not spindles. I got confused.
Thinking gears and the pressures that they develope while running lead me to my suggestion for ISO32.

ISO 10 is correct for the specification on the tag of the machine
The specification is given as 9.5 cST, so it is only ISO10 if the spec is at 40C, at 100C it is ISO100. Since it clearly stated that it is 3 gear boxes, we are not talking spindles but gear boxes. Check the oil currently in the tanks, get it correct or you could eventually end up with a nice paper weight.

Mark, you are correct about that, but a gearbox does not run at 100 C, and if it did, it would not be for long. So why would they spec oil in a way it would not be used, or at least make the specification show that? But, to be safe, I agree with Mark, check and see what the viscosity of the oil in the mill looks like, and hope that it is oil that meets the original specs...

Is there a model specific service manual or users group out there to find good answers from?

cSt stands for centistokes = mm^2/sec. SAE 30 wt oil has a viscosity of about 10 cSt at 100ºC.
I woke up this morning and did not know about centistokes. -Cool-
Learn something new everyday and go to bed more knowledgeable than when you awoke.

That's why it was still packed in cosmoline - maintenance couldn't figure out what lube to use. :grin:

you kids are scaring me.

30 year old oil should not be used as a reference. I have no idea how many heat cycles it went through just sitting in its warehouse over the last 32 years. Heck condensation is a factor.

So what oil should I buy?

Bob, you are making an assumption about the temperature specification that might be applicable today, but may not have been at the time of manufacture. If you look at differential and manual transmission oil it has the same specs at 100C, but their operating temperatures are nowhere near 100C. All I am suggestion is to get it correct one way or another, we should not guess at what we think it might be spec'd as. So as you indicated contact the manufacturer or try to find a manual, otherwise try a poor test, ISO10 should pour like water.

Bob, you are making an assumption about the temperature specification that might be applicable today, but may not have been at the time of manufacture. If you look at differential and manual transmission oil it has the same specs at 100C, but their operating temperatures are nowhere near 100C. All I am suggestion is to get it correct one way or another, we should not guess at what we think it might be spec'd as. So as you indicated contact the manufacturer or try to find a manual, otherwise try a poor test, ISO10 should pour like water.
You have won me over, Mark. Robert, does the oiling system only run the gearbox(es), or is there a spindle or other things powered by the hydraulic system.

A casual search for a manual during dinner in front of the 'puter resulted in disappointment. -so far

</begin tongue-in-cheek>
I'm thinking that since it's 2018 and this is one of 'unicorn' type of urban legends of a surplus machine still packed in cosmoline,
perhaps this machine is actually from a parallel universe and somehow crossed boundries and ended up in Robert's shop...
</end tongue-in-cheek>

Back