My Boys First Machine Project.

at away Kiddo !!! U must be proud Papa.... :)

God bless nice to see great interaction
Btw my son is 17 and is on the spectrum. smart w/ short attention span... he wants to do everything but has to learn the basics with safety and hand tools first ... Id like to be able get there and know we may if I invest the time and he keeps interested
Thanks for sharing You Just gave me more inspiration and made my night
Kenny V

Kenny, tay can have short attention at times, and like your boy is smart as hell, in fact is in yr2 at school but doing year 4/5 maths and reading.
main safety thing i drummed into him is safety glasses at all times, which if you notice in pic 1 he is pointing to fact he as them on.
as for other safety i found as we go to use something new asking him what problems could you have using that item.
let him tell me then talk about it with him, and only about what we are using so as not to bore him, which is when he loses his attention.
also we have projects on go that we can put down when he as had enough, and come back to later.
also we have think time which when he get's frustrated we use that most vital of workshop equipment, the kettle and will have brew and choccy biscuit while he calm's down and is ready to start again.
he made his mum a bowl for ring's etc by beating an old bit of 1mm sheet with hammer and sand bag.
also i ask him what he wants to do and try to make things that he see's being used, then he think's more about making thing's.

got another autistic kid that comes here with his mum who is 14, and we are building a bike together look on his face when he gets something right is worth more than all the gold in the world.
he is more severe than tay.
sure you will get there with your boy.
shout me if i can help, i know your other side of pond but will advise on what i do.

Brino had many a happy time under landrovers and cars with my kids.
think funniest one was out on drive under mates landrover when my youngest girl who was 3.5 at time crawled under to help me and swmbo came out and told her to get dressed.
said to my girl you know you have to wear daddy at home clothes ( stuff already grease/ oil stained) then looked at her to find she did actually need to get dressed, only had her wellies on.

Happy Father's Day Gentlemen. If you aren't spending shop time with your child, turn off the lights go find them and make a memory.

Happy Father's Day Gentlemen. If you aren't spending shop time with your child, turn off the lights go find them and make a memory.
well said ... and like wise to all the fathers out there .. esp those who have a child with a disability. I d like to share something from the heart . My Boy has autism but autism does not have my boy. The times we are able to bond together are priceless. No words to express the thankfulness in my heart . My son is seventeen now . Btw it would take me well over 17+ pages to share the moments one moments and Joy that Papa had for the PAST 17 Years. Especially each and every little mile stone my son obtained . The best way to explain it is picture yourself as a new father to an infant in the first 9 months of his life . Every day you would come home from work and spend some time perhaps notice or experience something new your child may have learned or accomplished for his first time in life , He made a connection and you were there to see it and maybe be a part of .. Well that's been the past 17 of my life with my son. It was more in his early years not as much so now .. Well Im hoping soon my boy will take an interest in some sort of hobby we are going to do together out in the garage .Im trying to catch his fancy and suggest something that way I know he will be interested. Sooner or later we will find what that may be . And than we will have that cherished time together again.

I prayed for 7 years for my boy to be able to go fishing on a party boat that I fish on .. When he was 13 he was ready and our prayers were answered. Ill never forget that day. We have gone for the last 3 years thereafter.
thanks for letting me share. I hope it may have blessed someone's day perhaps reflect how fortunate they really are. And thank the Good Lord for all their blessings ..
Especially for their children on this fathers day.

know what you mean kenny.
same with tay, i'm lucky he like's making thing's, hope it stay's with him.

It doesn't get any better than that.

You guys are lucky that you are or were able to get your son's involved in the shop. I was not that lucky even today at age 34 he is just not interested. He is very capable to do most anything, but would rather sit at the computer. I do wood, metal, cars, welding etc. My son can do it also but is only interested when he is required. Something breaks!!

Taycat, glad you and your son are able to bond. I'm sure this can only help him.

Paul

I know what you mean paul my eldest 4 are exactly the same.
but my youngest two love it.
my 6yr old girls idea of killing a wet afternoon if im not at work is to go upstairs and watch biker build off or one of the is born series with mark evans.
they both helped me clean up and restore the mk1 clarkson tooling and cutter grinder i got recently.
still got holders to clean up but now rewired and working.
let tay have go sharpening some steel, so he can get feel for it before i let him loose with lathe tooling.c1.jpg

nice machine there .. guess ya have to getem while there young . Joel is hit and miss ..im not sure he is interested much more unless I build it up .. gona have to start to say were making parts for the time machine...

ok I have to ask what is that behind the curtain (not the car ) But something multi color ?

Back