My Current UPS Saga

Not limited to UPS, it's pretty much all services since, as Erik mentioned, Covid has upset the infrastructure of everything. Who would have thought a new strain of the common cold virus would cause people to empty shelves of toilet paper. People were complaining about Proctor & Gamble because Clorox wipes were disappearing from store shelves. WHY DON'T THEY JUST MAKE MORE?!? It's not that easy.

As we are all aware, manufacturing something requires tooling for the most part. I was the development engineer back in the day for the 1995 Pontiac Sunfire instrument panel. We were given a production target of somewhere around 120,000 units a year. That boiled down to around 500 units a day tops. The mold for the instrument panel was around $700,000. Typical large injection molds were run at a cycle time of around 1 minute per part at that time. That means one tool/cavity could produce 60 parts per hour or 480 parts in an 8-hour shift. However, the injection molding machine that that die ran in didn't just run that part. The molding machine was around $3,000,000, so it was scheduled to run other parts too. Not so easy to say, "oh, let's start making 1000 parts per day" when you have a volume forecast of half that. Not so easy to make another $700,000 die that takes around 8 months to cut and tune for a quick fluctuation in the market.

I think the same thing has happened to the shipping industry (and others). They're just getting overwhelmed with volume and with a number of "stay at home" orders in effect. Just not enough hard-working people to get everything done.

Below is my shipping notification for a 3-day large flat rate box for a 5C collet chuck for a Tormach 4th axis. I did a buy it now on the auction on Friday, May 15. Seller shipped it on Monday, May 18. Made it to Indianapolis in 2 days, only 240 miles from our house. Tracking said it departed Indy just 2 minutes after arriving in Indy on May 20. Then on May 24 there was an update that it was in transit. Next update was just about 2 weeks later that it arrived in Lansing, MI about 20 miles away. Was on our porch the next day. The box was pristine, no label damage, so figured it was just the shear volume and lack of folks being at work.

I wasn't upset (although was anxious that it was lost forever) as in the grand scheme of things I had PLENTY of other stuff to do without the 5C collet chuck. I really feel for folks with kids in school as around here there are rumors of staggered schedules to limit the number of kids in the building. A lot of families are dual-income, gonna be tough for them to manage stay-at-home kids 2 or 3 days a week.

Bruce

1591701995274.png
1591702022644.png
1591702054995.png

I never pay for expedited shipping. IMHO it is just a waste of money. Especially for heavy items. I have had good luck with USPS and UPS in my area with ontime deliveries. FedEx always seems to take an extra couple of days and recently the boxes have been absolutely trashed to the point where you could see that FedEx had taped the boxes back together. Some of that was the fault of company I bought from because of poor packaging.

I've heard this too from a FedEx driver on another forum as well as my USPS mail lady. USPS in my area actually makes 2 rounds now, they deliver packages on their route first, then come back to deliver mail. People are ordering online like crazy due to everything going on. Heard something that Amazon even advised to avoid ordering if possible to help them keep up with demands.

We actually have 2 different mail trucks on our route. The regular delivery person handles anything that will fit in the mail box and the second truck delivers larger packages exclusively.

As for the delayed delivery from UPS and FedEx it isn't something new in our area. It's been going on for at least 5 years. Most shippers designate the least expensive method. In most case meaning ground transport. This method usually takes 4 to 7 days for anything originating in the US. I have tracked packages from Chicago (120 miles away) to see them arrive at the local distribution center within a day. They sit there anywhere from 3 to 6 days before being put on a truck for delivery.

I'm sure if I paid the price for same day or next day delivery they would have been delivered in that time frame. However it wouldn't be economically viable for the shipping companies Why would anyone pay the upcharge for same or next day shipping if they could get the same service at a considerably lower price.

The only exception I'm aware of is McMaster. If I order before 9:00 AM it comes the same day. If I order before 2:30 PM it comes the next day. Anytime after 2:30 PM is a 2 day shipping. No exceptions, no upcharge from McMaster. The shipping charges are the shipping charges period.

Some of the problems go back to the vendors. Vendors will make a shipping label, complete with tracking number and send an e-mail saying the product has shipped. Checking the tracking number with the common carrier, they will verify that shipping information has been entered into the system but it is sometimes days before they actually receive the package. Vendors are allowed to charge for the purchase once the product has shipped so it is in their best interest to "ship" as quickly as possible.

With this COVID pandemic, I have not been in a bricks and mortar store since mid March. At 75 years and with medical conditions, the risk is more than I am comfortable with. We have an Amazon Prime account and it is easy enough to shop online. With free shipping, the costs for the online purchase is less the the cost of driving in to town. This has been a convenient strategy for me but it has certainly increased the burden on the common carriers. Thr tw day delivery of Amazon Prime sometimes stretches into three or four days but the deliveries do arrive and I for one am grateful.

Patience & understanding is required. The world and our normal infrastructure is not what it was 3+ months ago.
As @erikmannie mentions above - he is being run ragged as if it were the holidays. A big 'Hell Yeah' to @erikmannie and his fellow workers!
Air cargo is upended because passenger flights actually carry a lot of it and flights are down drastically, and OTR trucking is overwhelmed.
We haven't had any FedEX deliveries here in the last few months but I have to tell you, our UPS drivers and USPS carriers look tired & worn out.
Our deliveries have been fine here in EastTN, south of Knoxville.
I even ordered a basement window off of Amazon that came via USPS within (4) days.
(Now I just have to get around to installing the d*mn thing...)
Some of our other deliveries have been delayed perhaps one or two days - no big deal.
At the beginning of this mess I shipped a spare 3M respirator to my Son in TX - Priority USPS - because he was still having to work setting up laptops for folks to work from home, and he got it in two days.
We can not realistically expect the system to function as smoothly as it did before this mess.

I ordered some parts the company is 30 mile away
it took 6 days. Twice they said it was out for delivery and would arrive by the end of the day (8:30 pm)
I called and raised hell it arrived today around noon

I ordered some parts the company is 30 mile away
it took 6 days. Twice they said it was out for delivery and would arrive by the end of the day (8:30 pm)
I called and raised hell it arrived today around noon
Yup....same thing here with orders from Optics Planet. Twice I vented and raged over excessive delays, and twice the items showed up within 2 days. The they had the gall to send a survey of how happy I was with the experience! :bang head:

Back