My Favorite Tap Handle...

I've had this one (store bought ... no idea exactly where or when, no brand markings on it) for a goodly number of years. It's definitely been very useful. The threads are 1/4-20, and the handle will handle taps up to 3/8".

PS - I put the the tape on the handles because the knurling is sharp enough to hurt. Guess I oughta sand it down a bit one of these days ...

PPS - Stores more compactly if you unscrew one of the handles. Or you can thread it into the "back" of the body to keep the whole thing together.

HPIM2891K.jpg

HPIM2891K.jpg

Great post and great info. thanks for posting this. How did you clean the parts after the heat treating? What is the packing with steel wool all about?

Thanks Again,
Skip

Parts are cleaned with a sand-blaster which gives it a nice matte/pearly finish if you use ground glass.

Plugging the holes will prevent cracking of the parts during the quench. When you dunk a very hot part, all the thin areas will cool (therefore contract) at a much faster rate than the thicker cross-sections. By stuffing the holes, the quenching solution cannot come into contact with the bore of the hole and thus, it cannot carry the heat away -and thus, the thin section cools at a rate more in-line with the thicker cross sections. This way, uneven tensions do not build-up and cause cracking...

I can all but guarantee that if that part were just dunked as-is, the thinnest cross section would have cracked.

This is the first time I've ever tried packing with steel wool. In times prior, I just plugged it with a bolt or shaft. The steel wool worked just fine! -And I owe George Wilson a "thank you" for that little trick.

Ray

Great post and great info. thanks for posting this. How did you clean the parts after the heat treating? What is the packing with steel wool all about?

Thanks Again,
Skip

Nice work Ray, and I'm definitely going to attempt making one as nice because mine came with some junk and is pretty worn.

Just gotta get a good knurler and learn how to use it, any chance of a how to on that part of the job? The thought of that long knurl does scare me a bit!

Bernard

OOPs, just seen your Knurler link, don't know how I missed it..

Last edited:
Ray,
Nice job on this post. Great pics good description.
Gary

Nice work Ray, and I'm definitely going to attempt making one as nice because mine came with some junk and is pretty worn.

Just gotta get a good knurler and learn how to use it, any chance of a how to on that part of the job? The thought of that long knurl does scare me a bit!

Bernard

Sure, I can show the knurling. There are some videos on YouTube but, everyone has their own technique and I haven't seen anyone do it the way I do so, what the heck, I'll show a better description. Gimme a couple days... and send a reminder if I forget.

Ray

Sure, I can show the knurling. There are some videos on YouTube but, everyone has their own technique and I haven't seen anyone do it the way I do so, what the heck, I'll show a better description. Gimme a couple days... and send a reminder if I forget.
Ray

That would be great Ray, I've watched a couple but not too much the wiser really, it seems that a lot of practice is needed to get perfect at it...:panic:

Bernard

Back