My Favorite Tap Handle...

Years ago, tap handles all looked like this one, not the more modern style that we are all accustomed to. I personally do not like the modern type, as they always loosen up. I used to have one like Ray's, made it in high school, but over the years it disappeared somehow. I put making a pair of these on my to-do list, one small and one large, but haven't gotten around to making them yet.

Those of you that have never used this type of tap handle will quickly understand why it is Ray's favorite once you have the chance to use one.

Thanks for posting, Ray!

Note that handle's size capacity is just as it says: "handles 0 - 1/2" is thread size and not the size of the tap's shank. This has fooled me as I've been looking around for a tap wrench that can handle bigger sizes. In my case, seeking one to handle a 5/8'" and some large reamers (up to 7/8"). I settled for getting a socket wrench tee handle and some 12-point sockets that fit my taps' and reamers'square shanks.
Maybe I'll machine my own big version of the "Ace style" shown below.

Greg

I was in an Ace hardware store today, and saw a similar tap handle. Takes taps from 0 to 1/2".

It's the Irwin/Hanson 21596:
http://www.gradyshardware.com/Irwin-Industrial-Offset-Tap-Hdl-012/M/B001D1DTW6.htm - $5.72 + $3.18 shipping. I forgot to note Ace's price.

View attachment 71719

Best wishes!

Thank you for sharing this! I've been considering building a tap handle like this for a while and after building the "Cam-Jack Knurler", now feel capable of taking this one on.

I don't have ability to heat treat, so I'll likely construct out of 1018. I hope that'll last me quite a while.

I'll probably start with one that does 1/4" to 1/2" range taps, and then one for larger taps. Two sizes of "v" per tool.

It may be overkill, but has anyone considered a rounded relief in the bottom of the V to reduce the stress riser? Probably not necessary.

I wouldn't think it would be necessary, nor would heat treatment. Shucks, if a 1/2" tap is THAT hard to turn, you've got other things to worry about :)

Thanks! Thats what I'd have expected too.

I'd like to make a couple larger turn up to say 1" and 1-1/2" taps.

Back