My first (and second) attempt at cutting splines.........

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi everyone,

I have a friend that is very heavy into building electric cars.
Several years ago he converted a regular, gas-powered Toyota Echo to electric.
I helped build a new plate to bolt onto the front of the transmission to mount the single big DC motor.
I also built the motor shaft to transmission input shaft coupler.
He added banks of batteries under the hood, and in the back.
He still has that car running, but now he wants to build something better.

The technology is moving along fast.
He has already bought some motors, and a replacement battery pack from a commercial electric car (I forget which one....).
He has them all on his heavy-duty work bench getting ready for testing.
He wants to connect two of these motors "face-to-face" so that he can load one with the other for testing.
That means he needs a double-ended splined shaft.

He has four Yasa P400RS motors. They are liquid cooled, high-efficiency, high-torque, high-voltage, 3-phase DC motors.
https://www.yasa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/YASA_P400_Product_Sheet.pdf

I had never cut a spline before, but once he found the spec. for what he needed and I had a chance to go thru the Machinery Handbook section and run some numbers I decided to give it a try!

First, I made a test spline from aluminum.
Since I needed to turn down some oversize stock on the lathe before moving to the mill, I thought I could use the same chuck on the lathe as on the rotary table on the mill. I did NOT have long piece of aluminum bar the proper diameter, so I drilled, tapped and connected a smaller bar to the end of the large stock to use as a handle. They were assembled with threaded rod and thread-locker. Since I needed to turn down the ID of the larger piece, it should end up concentric anyway.

Here it is with the smaller bar held in the collet chuck on the lathe and the OD being sized:
spline1_turning_blank.jpg

When that was done, the work-piece was left in the chuck and the entire thing moved over to the mill:
spline1_on_mill.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not (at the time) have a proper height tailstock to match the rotary table.
What I used was a centre I turned on the lathe, held in a 5C-collet, in a spindexer, up on 1-2-3 block stilts:
spline1_awkward_tailstock.jpg
(you cannot see them, but there's also some parallels laying flat between the 1-2-3 blocks and the spindexer)

Here is cutting a spline (or is it a groove between splines.......:cautious:)
spline1_cutting.jpg

I tried multiple times to upload a video of cutting a spline,
I will try again in a new post...stay tuned.

-brino

spline1_turning_blank.jpgspline1_on_mill.jpgspline1_awkward_tailstock.jpgspline1_cutting.jpg

Last edited:
I still cannot get the video to work, even after "smalling it down" a bit.........

Here's some other stuff instead......

Some close-ups of spline #1, the aluminum test spline:
spline1_done.jpg

spline1_doneb.jpg

Yes there is some slight surface irregularity, I think I may have a slightly bent feed shaft....but that's a problem for when I retire and have more than a few hours back-to-back to deal with it. Besides the mill is already 104 years old....I'd be complaining too!

spline1_close1.jpg

spline1_close2.jpg

I have more to post, but I am expecting the "dinner bell" any minute now.
I will try to post more later today!

-brino

spline1_done.jpgspline1_doneb.jpgspline1_close1.jpgspline1_close2.jpg

I would like to be able to do 10, 18, and 26 splines. Thanks for posting.

YouTube for uploading the video! Fantastic work and a really cool project that's it's for too.

I'm certainly impressed.
Well done sir, especially for a rookie.

Wow, that's some darn impressive work!

Here's a few shots of my rotary table......(but don't look at the work it's holding some shots are from spline #2, the steel one.......)

I need a 32-tooth spline. I have a 90:1 rotary table, and there were multiple plates to get me there.

So 90:1 gives 360/90 = 4 degrees on the output shaft for every full turn of the handle.
And 360/32 = 11.25 degrees per spline.
Since two full turns gives 8 degrees, I still need 11.25-8 = 3.25 degrees.
Given 3.25/4 just multiply top and bottom x 4/4 = 13/16.

I could also have used :
2 full turns and 52 holes on the 64-hole plate, or
2 full turns and 26 holes on the 32-hole plate.

I chose the 16 hole plate, so I need two full turns and 13 holes on the 16-hole plate.
I set the sector arms(checked my counting twice!) to reduce errors.

rotary_table1.jpg

rotary_table2.jpg

rotary_table3.jpg

back with more later.....

-brino

rotary_table1.jpgrotary_table2.jpgrotary_table3.jpg

I tried again to down-size the video, hopefully the quality doesn't suffer too much.....

There is some extra sound due to pushing some other garage stuff back so far that the mill motor bracket is vibrating on it.
....of course there is also some wear in the vertical head.

-brino

View attachment spline1c.mp4

Back