My first (and second) attempt at cutting splines.........

Oh, and how did I do on the second one?
Target is 1.465"

right at the end: 1.465"
spline2_meas1.jpg

another groove, and down a bit: 1.464"
spline2_meas2.jpg

That's why I build test parts for new (to me ) operations......

-brino

Loving your work!

Thanks for the reads, thumbs, and feedback.

I could share some of the math used to calculate the depth of cut, if there is any interest.

-brino

I would like to be able to do 10, 18, and 26 splines.

You can do it too!
With a rotary table and plates, a proper tooth form cutter, a bit of research and a little bravery to jump in....

Much like gears, there are different "tooth" shapes, so you really need to know what specification to build to, especially if you need to interface with a part that someone else built.

Mine is an ANSI B92.1-1996, Fillet Root Side Fit.
32 teeth, spline pitch 24/48, with a 45 degree pressure angle.

Machinery's Handbook explains a lot, and I used a spreadsheet to help too.

-brino

Last edited:
Are you going to case harden? Or are they good enough for what they will be used for?
Good job. They look great!

I'm in awe Brino. I get you learn a lot when you go to do a project but WOW.

Thanks for posting.

Are you going to case harden? Or are they good enough for what they will be used for?
Good job. They look great!

Thanks!
Since these are only for bench testing the motors we are hoping that they will prove strong enough without hardening.
Those motors sure have a lot of torque, but it is spread over all the teeth (unlike a gear).
The other part is that he should be in full control of how stressful the testing is, unless his control system starts doing full speed reversals......then we might have a problem.

I have wondered how case hardening would change the shaft.......I am NOT setup for finish grinding.

-brino

Back