My first Bridgeport

Well this machine has two of them - one wouldn't come out-

I'll have to consult my parts and see if there's a button in there.
There is a button - and it's too short- looks like it's been ground off. Man, the buffoonery of the DPO's who jacked with this machine.

I used JBWeld (again) to secure a small nut to the bolt side of the button, making it long enough for the locking bolt.

Got the Knee all back together - and the oiling lines - the DPO had frankensteined the fittings so it was a serious struggle. But I got it finished. Tomorrow the saddle goes back on.

Last edited:
Got the Knee all back together - and the oiling lines - the DPO had frankensteined the fittings so it was a serious struggle. But I got it finished. Tomorrow the saddle goes back on.
IMG_1065.JPG

Couldn't stand it - went back out and put the saddle back on - first oil on the reinstalled saddle from the Chinesium one-shot -thru the new lines.
Firstram- this doesn't look nearly as pristine as yours did...

IMG_1066.JPG

Persistence pays off. You'll know that machine inside and out when you're done!

Firstram- this doesn't look nearly as pristine as yours did...
It looks so much better than it did and I'm sure it will be as smooth as silk. I really got lucky finding a gently used mill, thanks.
Persistence pays off. You'll know that machine inside and out when you're done!
This, it's always worth going through an older machine.

It looks so much better than it did and I'm sure it will be as smooth as silk. I really got lucky finding a gently used mill, thanks.

This, it's always worth going through an older machine.

Question for you - what to do about the table? I'll need to measure it for flatness - not obvious that it's worn but it is pretty beat-up. What do folk typically do with their table?

I stoned down the dings and never gave it a 2nd thought about checking for flat. I don't own precision stones, I just flattened one on a diamond lap, it worked well.

Ypu should plug those two holes in the back of the knee while you have access! They let chips in to the gearing!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ok so today spent pretty well the full day on the machine. Successfully got the head off- not as big of a deal as I thought it would be -the head removal stand from H&W worked a dream. I extended the ram all the way to give me enough room to clear the bolts because I couldn't use the Y-axis.

IMG_1078.JPG

I then lowered the knee all the way down - then used straps and the engine hoist to lift the head off the table.

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

Now I know why the head wouldn't swivel about it's axis- someone seriously abused this machine. The screws and roll pin were all snapped in the gear you see above.

I had a bit of a time separating the variable speed drive and motor from the quill housing - the top of the spindle was mushroomed some and I didn't know if there was a snap ring I should be removing- Some light taps with a bar and mallet freed it up.

FLAU5538.JPG

I made use of the engine stand to hold the quill housing for teardown and repair...
IMG_1086.JPG

Then I pulled the turret-
IMG_1087.JPG

Took it outside to work on the snapped cap-head screws on the gear-
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG

And then there's what's going on with the head side of this...
AJWM2972.JPG

So the only way I can think of to generate this kind of damage is to torque down the locks, then use an impact gun on the adjustment nut. Intentional, in other words.

Question to the group - now that I have the turret off, will the ram come apart if I remove the adjustment gear for the ram?

Thanks!
Mike

Back