My first part

This is currently the world’s most expensive T-nut. Everything you make after this just averages down. :)

Indeed, my partner said in jest that it was a $2500 part. Then smiled :D
She wants a printing press :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job, I love seeing people getting started in metalworking. It can de intimidating but you seem to be grabing the bull by the horns and getting it done. Be sure to mark your parts #1 and #2 so that 20 or 30 years from now you'll know which is which. :grin:

Nice job, I love seeing people getting started in metalworking. It can de intimidating but you seem to be grabing the bull by the horns and getting it done. Be sure to mark your parts #1 and #2 so that 20 or 30 years from now you'll know which is which. :grin:

Thanks @Mini Cooper S, much of what I’ve learned has come from members like you here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A printing press?

That sounds like a tool that will need other tools to repair and maintain....

I think we have a match :grin:

John

Good job and congrats David. When I first got my RF30 with almost no tooling I suffered a lot from lack of experience and what to buy. It ended up kinda a chicken or the egg dilemma. One of the early solutions before I could nail the silly vise down I got with the mill and before I had a clamp kit or even knew which size t-nut I needed I stumbled onto the fact that my 1/2" (mill) and 3/8" (drill press)carriage bolts once I ground off the sides of the head like you did on yours fit and could get me by until I got a clue. I still have them as emergency and my prelude to machining.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Good on ya for making the first part but a word of caution. The round tee nuts have a very small contact patch. Tee nuts are usually rectangular to spread the load and not break out the slots on the table. When using it under the vise under compression is not a problem but free tee nuts can bust out the slot. Also watch out for high loads in the vise which can put a lot of leverage on the tee nut.

Good on ya for making the first part but a word of caution. The round tee nuts have a very small contact patch. Tee nuts are usually rectangular to spread the load and not break out the slots on the table. When using it under the vise under compression is not a problem but free tee nuts can bust out the slot. Also watch out for high loads in the vise which can put a lot of leverage on the tee nut.
Indeed and thanks for the caution. This is a stopgap measure till I can mill some proper nut.

Good job and congrats David. When I first got my RF30 with almost no tooling I suffered a lot from lack of experience and what to buy. It ended up kinda a chicken or the egg dilemma. One of the early solutions before I could nail the silly vise down I got with the mill and before I had a clamp kit or even knew which size t-nut I needed I stumbled onto the fact that my 1/2" (mill) and 3/8" (drill press)carriage bolts once I ground off the sides of the head like you did on yours fit and could get me by until I got a clue. I still have them as emergency and my prelude to machining.
I have a whack of carriage bolts, all 4" long and only threaded on the last inch...
I'm going to pick up a clamping set as I have a bunch of oddly shaped stock at my disposal.

Good on ya DavidR8! & the wife's encouragement to boot! I just finished up my 1st square part from a lathe, brought it, along with the sample I copied to my wife. She held them for just a moment & said, "Yours is bigger (or not a real match)." Well mine looked better & fit better, so........... I'm a musician - so, I appreciate her 'challenges'. Never stop shooting for Mars: You might end up on the Moon; but, man, what a ride!

Back