My Happy ER 32 Ball Bearing Collet Nut Saga

Can you use the standard 4 prong wrench with this nut?
[/QUOTE
I ordered and received a bearing nut from Rocky Mountain. The standard 4 prong wrench fits the nut fine. The nut itself though was a real piece of junk. The bearing felt like it had a handful of sand in it and even locks up when moved back and forth. Jay is sending me a new one so hopefully I just got a bad one. He said they are made in Spain but felt more like a China piece to me.

Just an update on this ER32 bearing nut from Rocky Mountain. The first one I got had a terrible feeling bearing. It felt like it was filled with sand. I contacted Jay and he sent a replacement. The replacement felt better at first, but after using it a handful of times, the bearing again feels really bad. Sometimes when I remove it the bearing is actually locked up. The threads also seem to be cut poorly as it binds and has tight and loose spots. My two regular nuts go on smooth and easy. I do not over tighten it in case you wondered.
All in all it seems like a real piece of junk although the service from Jay was great. I realize it's only a $20 item but I hate throwing $20 bills in the garbage. Jay ended up giving me a refund and told me to throw the nut in the garbage (where it belongs)!

How do you determine the quality of an ER collet nut? Rego-Fix created them and are the standard but how do you know if another brand is as good or if not how much worse?
Dave

Either buy it and try it or rely on reviews I guess. Other folks on this thread seemed to like the Rocky Mountain nut but my experience was much different.

Back