My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Your machine is looking great!
Thank you! :encourage:

As you can see, still lots to clean... In the last two photos you can see that I cleaned the pulleys, for the leather belt, with acetone. Then used fine sandpaper to clean them further, then acetone again... I envy those rebuilds that I have seen where the pulley surface looks nicely polished, but no way I can get them like that... at this point I just want them clean, free of any oil, so the leather belt grips nicely...

I now need to clean the gears in there as well...

Trying to do all this with minimal disassembly... The lathe was running tight, I do not want to mess with any alignment issues by taking something apart...

Last edited:
I ordered a new plate... The before photo is deceiving... you can't see anything under normal light... reason why I ordered a new one...

IMG_7172.jpeg
IMG_7173.jpeg

I went ahead and took the time to lightly sand, with 2000 sandpaper, the original one... Much better. I can definitely see it now clearly. So I can reuse if needed...

IMG_7178.jpeg

Puuuurdy!!
Looks like I will use the original one. I did not notice that the one I ordered is not an exact match.

I did not read the description... :oops2:

Nameplate.jpg

"Nameplate for Quick Change Gearbox
Brass Nameplate, etched and paint filled, drilled for attaching to Gearbox
Used on 10", 11" and 2900 Series 12" Lathes after S/N 67839
Stud Gears are 36T and 72T"

Oh well... it will make for a beautiful wall decoration... :D

Old lamp arrived... could not resist installing right away. Installed one of those rubber LED light bulbs that look old school but are shock resistant...

I will remove to paint to match... but man! I like it!!

Paint on the motor housing/mount is not even dry and I am installing stuff on it :D... I feel like a frigging little kid...

IMG_7186.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_7189.jpeg

Mounted using existing threaded holes in the motor mount/housing

IMG_7193.jpeg

Back