My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

look great - now get the backing plate turned and start making those threads

For the ER32? Yes, all I have to do is to machine the registration on the backplate and it should be good to go.

Also, the 3C collet drawbar arrives Wednesday... that one will need to be cut to size. So I have a few projects to keep me busy with this lathe.

Trying to see if I can start making chips with it before the end of the week.

Order place for half-nut, half-nut pin, and also took the opportunity to order the missing follow rest as well...

I think that I am done ordering parts for my lathe...
@matthewsx I meant parts for repair or missing stock factory accessories like the follow rest….

We all know that I will continue buying tooling, gadgets, and whatchamacallits!! :laughing:

It was way too late for me to write about it... Now, somewhat awake, and with a shoot of espresso in my body...

So I could not wait to test it... not something I should have done without going over everything first... you see, I forgot to tighten the set screws in the rear pulley... so the lathe was not coming up to speed... pretty sure I have nice grooves in that new and shiny shaft that I installed...

Then I realized that the apron was not adjusted in the back. I had loosen those when I removed the apron. Easy fix.

Also forgot to install the ways felt/wipers... I will do that today.

Initial cuts had a very rough finish no matter what I tried... then I realized the cutter needed replacing, duh... flipped around the carbide insert and everything started looking a lot better.

This 1945 piece of machinery feels and works so great. Everything is tight and smooth... very happy with it...

Today I will try to finish the ER32 collect.

Last edited:
Machined the backplate. Does not show well on the photo, but it came out very nice...

IMG_7406.jpeg

Threads on the backplate to the spindle is nice and tight. No play. That was welcomed.

Threads for the bolts that hold the chuck - M8-1.25. I will need to run a thread chaser/cleaner. Bolts would bind half way in. But the chuck fits perfectly...

IMG_7407.jpeg

Bolts (3 M8-1.25 x 20mm) best to get quality ones. I am discarding these.

Of course, I do not have an M8-1.25 chaser or tap... so will have to wait for a quick trip to the local hardware store to get one and finish this project... Once I do that I can put it all together and measure runout.

Looks like I am not going to have time to get out to do a quick run to the hardware store... Amazon it is... bolts, taps, and bearings will be here tomorrow...

Bearings... yeah... I installed the clutch lever and went to give it a try, the one that activates the cross slide feed... This one:

IMG_7397.jpeg

One of the bearings shattered...

IMG_7410.jpeg

3/6" ID, 1/2" OD - turns out these are the same size as the bearings used on routers... so I ordered a few to keep as spares for the lathe and the wood-working routers.

And removed the original part from the assembly I found in eBay... So everything is still functional. I have to say, I am so glad I had the spare assembly so I could see how it works. Installing that knob correctly was a royal PITA...

IMG_7411.jpeg

Back