My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Vices are nice!

R
Yes, specially that Atlas… thin like the originals…

On the Bison, I need to figure out how to machine the back register… it is way larger that it needs to be…

51DED68F-FF8B-4D93-B2CF-F3F66F865457.jpeg
D69EB652-A099-489E-9442-1D8C357CAB52.jpeg

I looked back to see if you mentioned your tacho sensor, sorry if I missed it. I mounted mine under the cover using a bracket similar to an alternator/generator arm. My sensor is optical, I painted the very end of the spindle just before it leaves the headstock and added a line. I've read of lots of lathe owners super gluing a magnet to the spindle for a magnetic pick-up, but I have awful luck with supergule, regardless of the quality of the product.

Ron

I looked back to see if you mentioned your tacho sensor, sorry if I missed it. I mounted mine under the cover using a bracket similar to an alternator/generator arm. My sensor is optical, I painted the very end of the spindle just before it leaves the headstock and added a line. I've read of lots of lathe owners super gluing a magnet to the spindle for a magnetic pick-up, but I have awful luck with supergule, regardless of the quality of the product.

Ron
I am still trying to find a Hall effect sensor to connect to the TouchDRO…. I might just take the easy path and use the same one I used for the 9x20 with its own display…. I would love to use this type of sensor as it seems to be better protected from the elements…

8A4F5E1A-CEE0-4A58-AA05-3CC4AF87E910.jpeg

Yes, specially that Atlas… thin like the originals…

On the Bison, I need to figure out how to machine the back register… it is way larger that it needs to be…

View attachment 419801
View attachment 419802
Did you see the recent comments on spindle registers on Scott's forum? He has a table on his site listing the more common spindle lengths and register widths, but not SB which is close but will bottom out on the spindle nose before contacting the register. Meaning be cautious how much you remove. I'm pretty sure the Buck chuck that came with my 820 is bottoming out, need to confirm one way or the other once I have the lathe set back up.

I have contracted Covid, so please chalk up any more stupid than usual remarks, "vise" vs. chuck, to fatigue. On antiviras, other than tired am recovering well.
No worries. I understood what you meant.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am here recovering from dental surgery and just pushing through the pain with some Advil because I do not like how Percocet makes me feel…. Only thing that I can do is take photos and plan the next mods for when I can get back in the garage

Last edited:
Did you see the recent comments on spindle registers on Scott's forum? He has a table on his site listing the more common spindle lengths and register widths, but not SB which is close but will bottom out on the spindle nose before contacting the register. Meaning be cautious how much you remove. I'm pretty sure the Buck chuck that came with my 820 is bottoming out, need to confirm one way or the other once I have the lathe set back up.
I have the originals to compare to. I can measure how much to take out… my concern is how to make the modification without messing up the chuck…

I am still trying to find a Hall effect sensor to connect to the TouchDRO…. I might just take the easy path and use the same one I used for the 9x20 with its own display…. I would love to use this type of sensor as it seems to be better protected from the elements…

View attachment 419803
View attachment 419803I stumbled across this tach when I was doing a project with an old Shop Smith project. What's nice is you can flip it to sf
No worries. I understood what you meant.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am here recovering from dental surgery and just pushing through the pain with some Advil because I do not like how Percocet makes me feel…. Only things I can do is take photos and plan the next mods for when I can get back in the garage
Thanks. I have had too much dental, and get you 100%.

I have the originals to compare to. I can measure how much to take out… my concern is how to make the modification without messing up the chuck…
Unless it would radically change the overhang, myself if you have contact to the register it's good.

Ron

View attachment 419803
Take a look at this: http://www.mkctools.com/tachulator.htm I had this from a ShopSmith project, and put it on the Logan when I had the VFD mounted. The sfm is nice.
1662689335818.png

There is also an open source tacho, formally commercial. IIRC, it's posted to thingverse. Electronics are not my thing so I haven't pursued it. I can dig it up if anyone is interested.

Ron

Back