My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

The Starrett is a very nice pin vise, I have several. But for a tap wrench, I prefer a type put out by X-acto. Micro-Mark is a little expensive: https://www.micromark.com/mini-hand...MI3ejJkof1-QIVEmpvBB3dNwuBEAAYASAAEgKKoPD_BwE

An alternative like I have found at eBay and have several of:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pin-Vise/IF145-156?o=1&pk_campaign={US|Shopping|MiscTools}&pk_source=google&pk_medium=cpc&pk_kwd=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx9WD94f1-QIVMRTUAR0oDAEvEAQYBiABEgL8OfD_BwE

A much better price, and more usable as pressure down is more easily applied for drilling.

Could not find the X-acto ones… all links showed as discontinued…

I did find the ones from eBay, I think…

for small taps I use a 1/4" jacobs chuck on a straight arbor, plenty of feel.

DRO install is looking good! That scale fits perfectly in there. I seem to remember needing to mill a little bit out on my Atlas 618, but it's still working just fine after many years.

DRO install is looking good! That scale fits perfectly in there. I seem to remember needing to mill a little bit out on my Atlas 618, but it's still working just fine after many years.
Yes! Pleasantly surprise of how easy, so far, the install has been...

Cover fits and there are no issues with the scale and reader...

IMG_7782.jpeg
IMG_7784.jpeg

Painted the 3-D printed cover for the electronics... Installed on the back leg. Only painted the cover, you can see some of the base (blue) showing in this photo since not all three axis are needed...

IMG_7785.jpeg
IMG_7786.jpeg

Multiple outlet attached with double face tape to the toolbox

9E379D9E-2B34-4E06-B9C6-21927D985097.jpeg

Last edited:
Moved the cable. All good now.

IMG_7788.jpeg

Also cut to length the X-axis scale and trimmed the end of the scale bracket. Removed the mounting tab.

IMG_7790.jpeg

Made the holes in the front bracket and center punched on the lathe... just need to make those two holes and tap...

IMG_7794.jpeg
IMG_7793.jpeg

Just waiting for the taps to arrive today so I can finish this task.

IMG_7795.jpeg

Yes! Pleasantly surprise of how easy, so far, the install has been...

Cover fits and there are no issues with the scale and reader...

View attachment 419055
that looks really slick, lovely work!

Cool that you found a suitable backplate for the 6 jaw too, I wouldn't have thought the adjust tru style were so readily available.

SOAB!!!!! :mad:

IMG_7831.jpeg

My inner me1 talk: "Don't worry Wachuko... you only needed one bolt for this... "

IMG_7832.jpeg

My inner me2 talk: "But now they will think less of me... I was doing so well... just needed to be patient with small increments on the turns... but I got too confident and wanted to do it faster.... What will they think of me!? That I could not even handle those small 2-56 threads... the shame.. But wait!! I know what to do... nobody will ever find out! Buuuaahahahhahaa"

IMG_7833.jpeg

My inner me1 talk: " Don't do it man! Have you no shame!!?"

My inner me2 talk: :big grin:

IMG_7835.jpeg

My inner me1 talk: "You are dead to me!"
My inner me2 talk: "Ah, just shut up... nobody will know..."

IMG_7836.jpeg

Last edited:
Backplate, for the 6-jaw chuck, arrived... email sent to the seller as the one that arrived only has 3 threaded holes on it instead of 6 shown in the listing...

IMG_7838.jpeg

Not really a big deal as I can make the rest... but waiting to hear from the seller before I work on it... All I have to do is reduce the center enough to make the zero set adjustable bolts work...

IMG_7840.jpeg

Last edited:
SOAB!!!!! :mad:

View attachment 419206

My inner me1 talk: "Don't worry Wachuko... you only needed one bolt for this... "

View attachment 419207

My inner me2 talk: "But now they will think less of me... I was doing so well... just needed to be patient with small increments on the turns... but I got too confident and wanted to do it faster.... What will they think of me!? That I could not even handle those small 2-56 threads... the shame.. But wait!! I know what to do... nobody will ever find out! Buuuaahahahhahaa"

View attachment 419208

My inner me1 talk: " Don't do it man! Have you no shame!!?"

My inner me2 talk: :big grin:

View attachment 419209

My inner me1 talk: "You are dead to me!"
My inner me2 talk: "Ah, just shut up... nobody will know..."

View attachment 419210
Now you know how I feel on my lathe. Similar goof. My fix is a bit more difficult, though. It's more an injury to pride than anything. It should be fine.

Back