My name is John and I have a bench grinder problem – a cry for shop organization help

OCJohn

Mostly harmless.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m in the early stages of a massive summer garage/shop reorganization… Inspired by Rings Workshop’s videos, I’ve started categorizing tools/objects by the type of space they occupy – on the floor, a bench, walls, drawers, etc. The process came to a screeching halt when I got to bench-top tools and I counted up my grinders.

Eight.

I have eight bench-mount grinders in an 18x28 space (with a car, table saw and assembly table in the middle). Each grinder has a purpose and wants a permanent location for ease of use. But damn, that’s a lot of bench space. I’d love to hear ideas from others faced by the same utility/bench space balance.

Here’s what I’ve got in no particular order:
  1. ⅓hp Craftsman block with Norton white wheels for HSS
  2. ½hp Craftsman block with grey wheels – newly acquired
  3. ⅓hp Craftsman block with wire and Scotchbrite deburring wheels
  4. Tormek style (Wen) wet grinder
  5. HF buffer with cardboard stropping wheels
  6. 12” Delta PSA disk grinder
  7. 1x42 Dayton belt grinder (runs 1x30s also)
  8. 6x48 cast iron belt grinder (not in use for lack of space)
I’d like to setup one these with green wheels, CBN or diamond for sharpening carbide. Maybe use one of the craftsmans for that and move the deburring/wire wheels to the buffer.

My hoarder instinct wants to keep all of them with the justification that I do welding/fab, tool grinding, sharpening and even some woodworking. I hate the idea of rotating grinders from storage to bench depending on the job. I’m more likely to use the wrong tool because it’s convenient than I am to bother setting up the right thing. Yet bolting all eight to benches is going to eat up a LOT of bench top. Argh!

Has anyone else tamed this dragon?

I once saw a "grinder tree" setup. Not sure it would really help much but it was a hefty welded stand with a grinder or buffer etc on each of the four sides. It seemed like a good use of space.

However it was in large-ish open shop for access all around. Perhaps some sort of tree with the ability to quickly swap grinders on and off?

Just a thought.

I've got several abrasive machines (grinders, D-bit grinder, small belt sander etc) all for metal and I really need to setup a "dirty" corner of my shop with good metal dust collection for them. And of course there just isn't enough space.

Just googled "stand for multiple bench grinders" there are number of build videos and some commercial options.

If you actually use all of them it’s hard to talk you down. Since I got a knockoff Baldor(Chidor ) type bit grinder it’s made my 8” bench grinder kind of obsolete. I operate out of exactly the same size space but don’t hardly ever do wood so my freebie table saw is buried in a corner and the cars stay outside. My mainstay is the Jet 6” with wire wheel and MultiTool(belt/disk). The Checkel d-bit grinder and Chidor are on one rollaway with the Jet/MultiTool and 8” grinder on another rollaway. I use work stations for everything so I can move and reconfigure the small shop as needed. I love the fact each grinder has at least two or three uses and with the Checkel and Jet MultiTool each doing three or four. If I’d not spent so much on the wonderful balancing wheel mounts on the 8” I’d try and sell it as it’s pretty much a 5th wheel now.

Rack 'em and stack 'em, put them on drawer slides so you can pull one out and use it, then slide it back in a tight packed configuration.

The Tormek doesn't count as a grinder, that's a specialty tool. Same with the disc grinder, buffer, and belt grinders, they're not pedestal grinders exactly either (in case she asks).

I like keeping mine on pedestals welded to plow discs. Slide them together, tight, and out of the way. When I need to use one, I pull the machine out, or drag it around and put it where I need it. When done, everything gets slid back into the corner, or against a wall. Moveable equipment is the best.

I think you need more grinders. None of those are powerful, 1/2 hp is the bare minimum...
I think you need to buy 3/4 and 1hp, and get rid of the 1/3 hp.
Also think bigger wheels. I didn't see sizes but I am guessing the 1/3 are 6in
The 1/2 might also be a 6.
so buy 2 more 8" grinders that are more hp.
you need a polisher not a grinder... so get rid of another and get a big polisher..
see, I've solved all your problems.. :laughing:

I was thinking more carousal than ferris wheel, either way.

I just freed up a stand that I'm going to put 3 different types on with the option of being able to rotate to the one I want.

I’m in the early stages of a massive summer garage/shop reorganization… Inspired by Rings Workshop’s videos, I’ve started categorizing tools/objects by the type of space they occupy – on the floor, a bench, walls, drawers, etc. The process came to a screeching halt when I got to bench-top tools and I counted up my grinders.

Eight.

I have eight bench-mount grinders in an 18x28 space (with a car, table saw and assembly table in the middle). Each grinder has a purpose and wants a permanent location for ease of use. But damn, that’s a lot of bench space. I’d love to hear ideas from others faced by the same utility/bench space balance.

Here’s what I’ve got in no particular order:
  1. ⅓hp Craftsman block with Norton white wheels for HSS
  2. ½hp Craftsman block with grey wheels – newly acquired
  3. ⅓hp Craftsman block with wire and Scotchbrite deburring wheels
  4. Tormek style (Wen) wet grinder
  5. HF buffer with cardboard stropping wheels
  6. 12” Delta PSA disk grinder
  7. 1x42 Dayton belt grinder (runs 1x30s also)
  8. 6x48 cast iron belt grinder (not in use for lack of space)
I’d like to setup one these with green wheels, CBN or diamond for sharpening carbide. Maybe use one of the craftsmans for that and move the deburring/wire wheels to the buffer.

My hoarder instinct wants to keep all of them with the justification that I do welding/fab, tool grinding, sharpening and even some woodworking. I hate the idea of rotating grinders from storage to bench depending on the job. I’m more likely to use the wrong tool because it’s convenient than I am to bother setting up the right thing. Yet bolting all eight to benches is going to eat up a LOT of bench top. Argh!

Has anyone else tamed this dragon?
What I did was buy a rolling scaffold and turned it to a rolling grinding bench.
It has 2 belt sanders and about 6 grinders on it. It has heavy duty wheels. I made it so I could roll it near the door of my shop to keep the grinding dust down to a minimum.
It can hold up to a 1000 pounds.

Last edited:
Back