My name is John and I have a bench grinder problem – a cry for shop organization help

What I did was buy a rolling scaffold and turned it to a rolling grinding bench.
It has 2 belt sanders and about 6 grinders on it. It has heavy duty wheels. I made it so I could roll it near the door of my shop to keep the grinding dust down to a minimum.
It can hold up to a 1000 pounds.
I would love to see photos of that.

Best setup that I have seen so far is a hexagonal bases for the grinders that locates in a matching hole in the bench. Keep them on a shelf, and swap out as needed.

Pigeon hole them and make a plate for your bench with various hole patterns to fit the various grinders.
Cool is making thumb screws to speed the hold down process.

I thought I was bad with 2 electric ones , an electric one that needs some love and a couple of line shaft ones that have gone back in the draw as I ran out of room for them :)

:)

The one I use the most is on a small square of 1" thick wood with a 2x2 screwd to the underside so you can clamp it in the bench vise to use.

Stu

View attachment 453961
Imagine a carousel like this, but each shelf is a workbench... Room enough for a grinder to turn all the wheels you own.
It will need to have a cover in the back of each workbench and connected to a vacuum/dust collector to avoid getting the one in the back or below full of debris.

But it would a great use of space and everything would be ready for use…just scroll until you get to the one you need.

I’ve seen a ferris wheel type homemade wooden bench. It had 3 sides for 3 tools. It was setup to use it from the front (think getting in the ferris wheel car) so when changing the tool is sweeping past your hips/legs.
I think that’s why it was 3 sided. When locked and in use the other tool is down, back and not hitting your knees.
If you made a rolling cart and set it up facing from the side of the ferris wheel. you could probably do a square with 4 grinders. Unless it ends up too tall or something?

Like this? But with one more? Or do two on each shelf (back to back) and have four...

I need to start thinking of things that I can do to maximize the space in the new garage... I could not build it the size that I initially wanted... so everything needs to be installed optimizing the space as much as possible.

Link to video

IMG_2098.jpeg

Last edited:
Back