My next CNC project - a CNC router

I suspect that issues with LinuxCNC revolve around the fact that most people are more familiar with Windows (or Mac), and that LinuxCNC has a fairly steep learning curve. If you aren't familiar with the Linux environment and how to do seemingly simple things, it can be a struggle. Having to use a DOS-like terminal for many commands/functions during setups has been a challenge for me.

I'm sure once you get used to it it's fine, but for a novice (me) it's been painful.

Second reason LinuxCNC may not be the best option for a beginner is due to its extremely powerful & flexible nature, there are countless options, features, commands, functions, and other details that may need to be worked out. Getting your head wrapped around the basic architecture and jargon can be daunting.

And there's no customer help number... it's all community-based forum support. Documentation, while helpful as a general guide, is usually outdated.

If you're willing to brave the learning curve, LinuxCNC looks to have pretty amazing capabilities. 9-axis synchronized motion, built-in PLC ladder functions, ability to control just about any type of motor, actuator, whatever. Stuff like adjusting the feedrate based on real-time spindle load and tool center point control like the big boy CNC machines have.

I think LinuxCNC should be fairly easy for a beginner to get working... but that's for simple machines: routers, plasma cutters. For something more complicated (like my 4-axis mill with lots of other nice-to-haves like an ATC, spindle orientation, PDB, 5th axis) LinuxCNC is less intuitive.

My earlier comment about 'real time' vs Windows wasn't intended to be a dig, or to imply that a real-time OS kernel is superior to Windows-PC based CNC motion control. If you offload the heavy lifting (trajectory planning and precise signal timing) to a dedicated motion controller, then there's no issue. The advantage of a real-time OS is valid when comparing Mach 3 through a PC's parallel port to LinuxCNC through a parallel port.

The only fundamental advantage I can see now is that Windows-based systems can be slightly less responsive to user inputs than a real-time system. By this I mean that pushing a feed-hold button on a Windows system with a separate motion controller (Smoothstepper, UCCNC, any of them) results in some lag or latency (delay). The separate motion controller's buffer has to empty before it can process the new input signal. A large buffer (maybe for a slow PC or big look-ahead) can result in noticable delays. Small buffer, smaller lag.

If you've ever operated a 'real' machine with a dedicated CNC system (Fanuc, Haas, Siemens, etc.) you don't notice any latency when spinning the handwheel or pushing control buttons. Even on old machines.

This isn't limited to Mach 3/4, UCCNC, or other modern(ish) PC-based controls. My 2006 Emco lathe appears to have a Fanuc 21TB control, but it's actually a Windows 7 PC running Emco software that's been designed to mimic the Fanuc user interface. This also has a bit of latency in the controls... switch to a real Fanuc controller and everything is instant.

Not a deal breaker, but a half-second feed-hold delay during a rapid down in Z can cause some puckering.

-R

Thanks for your very thoughtful post.
As a CNC noob my experience thus far has been with my two-axis plasma cutter that runs off an Arduino Uno. Using LinuxCNC for a three-axis router will be a big step up in complexity to be sure.

Dave... I looked for a while to find the post where one of our members suggested a different OS than Linux. Could not find it. I know nothing about Linux but it seems that the people that use it are happy. I am considering that route myself.
You may have already seen this, but there is a guy that did a CNC conversion of a PM833 mill, which I know doesn't apply here but he did use Linux and talked about how to set it up. PM 833T CNC conversion utilizing Linux

Thanks, I appreciate that you went looking for the thread. I’m familiar with Dr D Flo. I learned about blowback start plasma cutters from him.

Couple of points: You are going to be amazed how your old computers that used to work but were buried by new Windows releases (Like Windows 10, ugh) run like lightning again on Linux. Second, I purchased some 2000mm rails and recirculating ball guides for a big slab router/leveler and accidentally reordered some 16mm diameter instead of 20mm. If you use these round guides, the difference in stiffness is night and day. Use 20mm.

Couple of points: You are going to be amazed how your old computers that used to work but were buried by new Windows releases (Like Windows 10, ugh) run like lightning again on Linux. Second, I purchased some 2000mm rails and recirculating ball guides for a big slab router/leveler and accidentally reordered some 16mm diameter instead of 20mm. If you use these round guides, the difference in stiffness is night and day. Use 20mm.

Indeed. I have a 2010 Acer laptop that struggled with Windows 10 but is much better running Ubuntu.

The machine I’m building uses linear rails (I can’t recall the dimensions of the rail) bolted to 2x3 steel tubing. My build will only have a 2’x3’ footprint so it should be really stout.

Last edited:
Big step today. I submitted the order for all the parts.
Linear rails
725mm HGR20 QTY (2)
425mm HGR20 QTY (2)
250mm HGR20 QTY (2)

Ball screws
825mm 1610 Ball Screw QTY (1)
525mm 1610 Ball Screw QTY (2)
300mm 1204 Ball Screw QTY (1)
HGW20CC QTY (6)

Motors, driver and board
4 x Nema 23 Stepper Motors
4 x DM542 Stepper Drivers
Parallel Port Breakout Board + DB25 Cable
5 x LJ8A3-2-Z-AX M8
360w Switching Power Supply

Shaft Couplers:
XB25*30 8*10 QTY (1)
XB25*30 8*10 QTY (2)
XB25*30 8*10 QTY (2)

Cable Chain 25*57 QTY (2)

Spindle + VFD Package
2.2kw Water Cooled Spindle + VFD
10m Water Pipe + Flange Type 80mm Spindle Mount
ER20 Collet Set
220V

Big step today. I submitted the order for all the parts.
Linear rails

I'm watching this closely. Building a CNC router has been on my to-do list. I've been working with Unix, Linux, and RT operating systems professionally for years so LinuxCNC will be my goto but I've never tried it. I'm more worried about finding a 3D cad package and learning it. I'm leaning toward SolidWorks. Anything network/cloud based is near useless on HughesNet satellite internet. (Impatiently awaiting Starlink).

I looked at a bunch of designs and machines before settling on this one. One of it appeals is that it scales well. I don’t have a lot of space, nor do I need a large work area. Small CNC routers tend to be lightweight so aren’t suited heavier work.
I use Fusion360 but I don’t have internet access in my shop so cranking out a quick design means going to the house.
Solidworks is appealing as I’d like to have something that runs locally.

You are really moving along on this build David. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Question about the water cooled spindle... Is there a concern with the water "going bad", or do you introduce a chemical into the water to prevent that?

You are really moving along on this build David. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Question about the water cooled spindle... Is there a concern with the water "going bad", or do you introduce a chemical into the water to prevent that?
I'm helping a guy on a different forum with a control panel design. He bought a $2000 ATC water cooled spindle from China and it recommended adding rust preventative to the cooling water to avoid damage to the spindle water channels over time.

I'm helping a guy on a different forum with a control panel design. He bought a $2000 ATC water cooled spindle from China and it recommended adding rust preventative to the cooling water to avoid damage to the spindle water channels over time.
Something like a corrosion inhibitor?
I'll need to do some research on this...

Back