My own Grizzly DF-1237G setup/restoration thread

I got the runout down to maybe 0.0002", but that could be from a sloppy cut on my part. I'm not experienced enough yet to make a clean cut. I'm sure my cutter angle and feed rate are all wrong.

two tenths runout?
can't be too much you're doing wrong!

-brino

Thanks! What I mean, also is that when I turn the chuck by hand, the needle dances as I turn it, but as soon as I take my hand off the chuck, the needle settles around 0.0002" from zero from all positions. Had the cut been cleaner, the needle may not have been dancing up and down.

Tony.

I rebuilt and re-lubed my scroll chuck today. I took a reading on the backplate and it had 0.010" runout. I was about to face it but decided to check the spindle. I found out the runout was in a spacer in the spindle.

KeoVvN1h.jpg

aYy1Fdyh.jpg

I've got to see if I can mill it flat or have my buddy have it precision ground.

Tony.

Well I managed to mill the high spots down to within about about 0.002" and runout on the 3-jaw is about 0.004" on a 1" thick bar. Before I milled the spacer, chuck runout was 0.023" on the same bar. At least for now, I can make bedding pillars with the 3-jaw. My 4-jaw won't clamp down far enough.

Tony.

I wonder if that spacer is a factory part? It's unusual to have that
Mark

I've not had that part on my machine. What is under it? What are the dimensions? Could it have been a previous owner's weird adaptation that wasn't working? (humm).... I'll go an measure my spindle later today and post my results....

The .0002" runout you are seeing could likely be from your indicator set up. Unless you have something really quite solid its easy to have that much movement, the kant-twist clamp to the height gauge, if thats what your using could be the issue or simply the height gauge is not sitting fully flat on the cross slide. Just for fun, take your finger and very very lightly tap the base while the indicator is touching the part.

Im in agreement with Dabbler on the chuck/spindle spacer. Ive not seen one on any machine. Checking the spindle runout is easy enough to do; post the results when you do check it.

The shoulder on the 3-jaw chuck will not screw on far enough to make contact with the spindle shoulder. It will screw on far enough to contact the spacer. Maybe the spacer was meant to make the 3 jaw work with the lathe. I haven’t tried to screw on the 4-jaw without the spacer.

When I received the lathe it had the 3-jaw installed.

Tony.

I understand why its there, what I think Dabbler and I are saying is that the presence of a spacer in that location is unusual and suggests some investigation might help. If your going to use the machine for barrel work I have had good success with a set-tru type 3 jaw. My lathe came with a spider on the back of the spindle so I did not need to add one. I learned from Charlie Milazzo many years ago and am only a few miles from Krieger Barrels.

Cool. I love their barrels. I’m just waiting on a bolt to install one on an M14 build in the shop.

My friend told me to bring the spacer to his shop this evening and he’s going to surface grind it. I showed him pictures this morning.

Tony.

Back