My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

Biggest difference being the 1340GT is Taiwanese and the 1440E-LB is mainland China. Other than that a little larger swing and I beleive the 1440E-LB is a 2" spindle bore whereas the 1430GT is 1-9/16".

Mike,

Can I ask you for a couple more measurements on your 1340GT?

1) The depth (front to back) of the cabinets.
2) The distance between the cabinets.

Reasons:
Am considering getting a piece of 1/4" plate to put between the chip pan and the cabinets... for two reasons:
*Stiffening, and
*To hang a drawer style toolbox under the pan.

THX, hope you are having a restful and fun THXgiving holiday!

John

Mike,

Can I ask you for a couple more measurements on your 1340GT?

1) The depth (front to back) of the cabinets.
2) The distance between the cabinets.

Reasons:
Am considering getting a piece of 1/4" plate to put between the chip pan and the cabinets... for two reasons:
*Stiffening, and
*To hang a drawer style toolbox under the pan.

THX, hope you are having a restful and fun THXgiving holiday!

John

John, the distance front to back of the cabinet are 13.375" and 14" including the front door. The distance between the two cabinets is 40.125".

I wasn't sure if you wanted th chip tray or not but just in case and I had the tape measure handy, it measure 18" deep by 69" wide.

Hope that is able to help you.

Fabricating a toolbox stand is also on my "to do" list hopefully this winter. Seems like a lot of wasted space between those two cabinets under there.

Good info Mike, John. I'm going to have to go back and re-read this thread a few times now that I have one of these things coming to my garage. :)

John, the distance front to back of the cabinet are 13.375" and 14" including the front door. The distance between the two cabinets is 40.125".

I wasn't sure if you wanted th chip tray or not but just in case and I had the tape measure handy, it measure 18" deep by 69" wide.

Hope that is able to help you.

Fabricating a toolbox stand is also on my "to do" list hopefully this winter. Seems like a lot of wasted space between those two cabinets under there.

Thank you Mike... really appreciate it!

Yes... that does seem a lot of wasted space... I think it possible that vertical panel may be partly there for structural purposes... that is, to avoid 'racking' the cabinets and causing the lathe to be out of level... and maybe put stress on the headstock to way/frame joint... if the latter is a potential problem... guessing here.

Seemed to me... hanging the toolbox would be easier... and allow for ease in cleaning up chips from the floor below... The negative I see with this location of a toolbox... is the potential for chips to get into it when one opens the drawer while the lathe is running... Yeah, diverting attention when the machine is running is not a good safety practice... I am sure we all are lax sometimes.

THX again!

John

My little SB somehow gets chips into the top drawer of the toolbox it sits on, and I've NEVER opened the drawer while the lathe is running. Haven't figured out how these little buggers are getting in there... :)

Very informative thread with the bonus of great pics. Has definitely allowed me to grasp, albiet limited, the concept of how everything ties together regarding VFD installation. And especially for helping me make up my mind for exactly what I'm after. Didn't take a whole lot reading to pull the trigger on this one; for the machine and electronics.

I just picked up a taper attachment for my PM1340gt from Matt. I assume that I will have to remove the rear splash guard plate to mount the taper attachment. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the splash guard to still fit while the taper attachment is mounted?

Very informative thread with the bonus of great pics. Has definitely allowed me to grasp, albiet limited, the concept of how everything ties together regarding VFD installation. And especially for helping me make up my mind for exactly what I'm after. Didn't take a whole lot reading to pull the trigger on this one; for the machine and electronics.

Welcome to the Hobby Machinist forum HK...
I see you are in Katy TX...
I grew up in Spring Valley (Bingle Rd x I-10).
Been in GA since 1990.

Appreciate the welcome Gyro. Fry Rd area for me. Been all over the map myself but Houston always seems to beckon me........

Welcome to the Hobby Machinist forum HK...
I see you are in Katy TX...
I grew up in Spring Valley (Bingle Rd x I-10).
Been in GA since 1990.

Appreciate the welcome Gyro. Fry Rd area for me. Been all over the map myself but Houston always seems to beckon me........

In 2009... My Dad spent most of the year in the HOSPITAL... I did about a dozen round trips to Houston via air. Found that I could save about 40% of the air-fair if I flew USAir and did a connection in Charlotte... over a non-stop to Houston.

When Dad was about to get out, I was on the fence between bringing him to Atlanta, or moving back there into the house I grew up in. Decided to stay here... however sometimes I do have fond memories of Houston... Until I remember the heat... LOL
Dad 'went home' in the summer of 2012.

THX for the reply, hope you enjoy your 1340GT... IMO it is a lot of bang for the buck for a lathe!

Back