My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

My little SB somehow gets chips into the top drawer of the toolbox it sits on, and I've NEVER opened the drawer while the lathe is running. Haven't figured out how these little buggers are getting in there... :)

Oh... you did not know the machines have a mind of their own... :rofl:

Years ago, I had a guy renting a room from me... he was a member of Mensa... Was the kind of guy that would seriously try to figure out that puzzle... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey Mike (Zmotorsports),

Wonder if I can ask another question about your 1340GT?

What is the chip pan made of? Is it thin sheet metal, thick sheet metal, cast, etc... and roughly what is the thickness of the pan; wide are, not the lip... THX!
And how tall are the cabinets... :)

THX Mike!

The next batch of 1340GT's is at Matt's warehouse, should ship soon. Hope to have mine by mid Feb.

Last edited:
The chip pan is not cast but it is fairly sturdy. The out lip is rolled with a bead which creates a very strong edge and the middle sits flat on the two side cabinets which give it its strength. I don't know the height right off, I will have to measure them when I get home this afternoon and get out in the shop.

Glad to hear your arrival is getting close.

Mike.

Oh... you did not know the machines have a mind of their own... :rofl:

Years ago, I had a guy renting a room from me... he was a member of Mensa... Was the kind of guy that would seriously try to figure out that puzzle... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yea, I resemble that remark (I'm a Mensa member too). But I do try to control the urge to figure the more trivial things out. Helps when you have limited play time and want to get stuff done. :))

Yea, I resemble that remark (I'm a Mensa member too). But I do try to control the urge to figure the more trivial things out. Helps when you have limited play time and want to get stuff done. :))

I have that inquisitive mind also... however I do not take tests well... never tried to join Mensa... my brother was a member.

Room-mate was a good guy, probably the most honest and trustworthy one I have had. It seemed his mind was in hyper-drive all the time.

Not that I need a room-mate... however being single and with a house that has an inlaw suite... may as well have the income.

The chip pan is not cast but it is fairly sturdy. The out lip is rolled with a bead which creates a very strong edge and the middle sits flat on the two side cabinets which give it its strength. I don't know the height right off, I will have to measure them when I get home this afternoon and get out in the shop.

Glad to hear your arrival is getting close.

Mike.

THX Mike!

I am trying to figure out how to mount the tool-box below the pan and between the cabinets. I was thinking to put a 1/4 plate in there, to stiffen the entire machine... that may be overkill. Probably am gonna just wait until it gets here to determine what to do. I have lots to figure out with the electrical. I am leaning towards doing the electrical similar to yours (front panel low voltage controls), with the VFD box on the lower left (below the belt drive), fan will be on the upper back of the VFD box, sp oil/chips do not fall in.

Did you do your wiring with an E-stop button that works through the VFD, and a slower normal electrical stop when the motor is turned off?

Appreciate the input!

John

THX Mike!

I am trying to figure out how to mount the tool-box below the pan and between the cabinets. I was thinking to put a 1/4 plate in there, to stiffen the entire machine... that may be overkill. Probably am gonna just wait until it gets here to determine what to do. I have lots to figure out with the electrical. I am leaning towards doing the electrical similar to yours (front panel low voltage controls), with the VFD box on the lower left (below the belt drive), fan will be on the upper back of the VFD box, sp oil/chips do not fall in.

Did you do your wiring with an E-stop button that works through the VFD, and a slower normal electrical stop when the motor is turned off?

Appreciate the input!

John

When I finally get around to adding my toolbox under the lathe, I am going to merely remove the steel stiffener panel that screws to the two side cabinets, build a cradle to hold the toolbox but make it fasten to the same locations as the filler panel so I don't have to drill any new holes. I will then probably just add some filler material around the perimeter of the toolbox to take up any space remaining to keep chips and dirt out.

As for the E-Stop, I have it wired in series with the control voltage so it will merely interrupts the 24v supply to the controls. It slows the same speed as if I turned the drum switch off.

Mike.

When I finally get around to adding my toolbox under the lathe, I am going to merely remove the steel stiffener panel that screws to the two side cabinets, build a cradle to hold the toolbox but make it fasten to the same locations as the filler panel so I don't have to drill any new holes. I will then probably just add some filler material around the perimeter of the toolbox to take up any space remaining to keep chips and dirt out.

As for the E-Stop, I have it wired in series with the control voltage so it will merely interrupts the 24v supply to the controls. It slows the same speed as if I turned the drum switch off.

Mike.

THX Mike!

I am kinda hesitant to hang the toolbox from the chip pan... which would require drilling holes in the pan and a screw or bolt head on the top of the pan... getting in the way and aggravating chip removal and cleaning.
OTOH... adding a plate between the cabinets and pan is a lot of steel and hassle to fabricate and install. Not sure there is a need for the stiffening that would come with that modification.

I like your idea of a cradle... seems if the cabinets are hefty enough... simply a cross-brace to set the tool box on... might be adequate.
As noted... probably need to get it here and set the cabinets and pan together (no bolts), then just look at it for a bit.

If I go the cradle route... it would not be difficult to add something behind the 'below toolbox' to stop the lathe/cabinets from 'racking'.

Probably just need to set the cabs up and put the pan on top.... then just look at it. The solution will become evident.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!

John

THX Mike!

I am kinda hesitant to hang the toolbox from the chip pan... which would require drilling holes in the pan and a screw or bolt head on the top of the pan... getting in the way and aggravating chip removal and cleaning.
OTOH... adding a plate between the cabinets and pan is a lot of steel and hassle to fabricate and install. Not sure there is a need for the stiffening that would come with that modification.

I like your idea of a cradle... seems if the cabinets are hefty enough... simply a cross-brace to set the tool box on... might be adequate.
As noted... probably need to get it here and set the cabinets and pan together (no bolts), then just look at it for a bit.

If I go the cradle route... it would not be difficult to add something behind the 'below toolbox' to stop the lathe/cabinets from 'racking'.

Probably just need to set the cabs up and put the pan on top.... then just look at it. The solution will become evident.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!

John

I agree, I wouldn't hang anything from the actual chip tray. I may not have expressed myself correctly when I mentioned a cradle. I am going to fabricate a stand/cradle that will be self supporting, meaning it will have feet and will sit on the concrete. I was also just going to secure it to the two side cabinets using the existing mounting locations to tie everything together, then add some filler around the perimeter to fill the gaps.

I hope that made more sense. Sorry to confuse you.

Mike.

I agree, I wouldn't hang anything from the actual chip tray. I may not have expressed myself correctly when I mentioned a cradle. I am going to fabricate a stand/cradle that will be self supporting, meaning it will have feet and will sit on the concrete. I was also just going to secure it to the two side cabinets using the existing mounting locations to tie everything together, then add some filler around the perimeter to fill the gaps.

I hope that made more sense. Sorry to confuse you.

Mike.

THX Mike.

No confusion... I am visualizing many different solutions.
poking a hole into the chip pan is definitely not an option...
I am gonna build a stand, so on the floor will not work for me either.

THX for the input... still thinking... :)

Back