My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

CRACKED THE CODE ON MY PICTURE UPLOAD PROBLEM, the file was too big.....duh.
So, here are a few I've been trying to post:

HELPS TO HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT OWNS A FENCING SUPPLY BUSINESS -----> BORROWED LOADER
(Third box on top is the extra 3 phase motor)
IMG_20151203_114522368_HDR  REDUCED.jpg

After getting it through the door, we uncrated it, then jacked it up and screwed 4 little caster wheels to the bottom, which enabled us to roll it right into the machine room. THIS WAS REALLY SLICK.
IMG_20151203_191245746 REDUCED.jpg

Bought a 1/2-13 tap at Tractor Supply Company to re-cut the bottom holes in the stand for leveling pads. It definitely cut more than just paint.
IMG_20151204_215745322 REDUCED.jpg

....then the levelers from Enco screwed right in by hand
IMG_20151204_220605929 REDUCED.jpg

My 3 phase motor came in a box
IMG_20151204_223546773 REDUCED.jpg

More to follow, let's see how this works the first time posting pictures
- Lafe

Last edited:
Alright, so the pictures are too big, but they work at least! (New Droid Turbo 2 phone takes BIG pictures)

How about now, Mike? Looks like they worked from here....

So RIO, my PM-1340GT is arriving tomorrow and it was a 1ph model that Mike said he could install a 3ph motor on. I wonder if it will show up with the 3ph motor in an extra box? I am planning on a single relay VFD wiring setup similar to Mike's but still in the data gathering phase so it might change.

It could come either way depending on what he has in stock. Call Matt if you want to know before it arrives, he's great to talk with. I ordered the Marathon E467 like Mark (mksj) indicated in this thread. Based on what the other guys say, I'm sure the stock three phase motor work fine, I just did it for the fun of it, and to let everyone on here know how it goes with the Marathon. I'm planning to use the potentiometer to vary the speeds and also the resistor braking which will be a lot better motor probably for that. Good luck man, enjoy!

I can see the pictures now Lafe. The lathe looks great, so does the HUGE grin on your face.:excitement:

Congrats.

Mike.

Great, thanks Mike. No way I would be getting this done without you and the guys on here, not to mention my cousin who is here from Ohio helping me.
I ordered the Marathon E467. It's a 7/8 shaft, so I'll need a new step pulley. This looks like the closest one I've found so far:
http://www.electricmotorsite.com/pc/pul_step_0875/MAS42x0875

I'm also planning what might be trial and error with Napa belt sizes. I'll start with the one you bought, and go from there. Hopefully it works first try. Having enough travel for adjustment will be the unknown.

Also: I have two stock motors that will be looking for a new home. I want to let you guys know first in case any of you want to buy either of these motors from me for a backup, before they hit craigslist. Should be able to get at least a couple hundred apiece out of them maybe?

Shipping cost from NY to AZ might be high though. LOL :boxed in:
IMG_20151208_130258330 REDUCED.jpg

Single phase motor plate:
IMG_20151208_133738311 REDUCED.jpg

3 phase motor plate:
IMG_20151208_133750763_TOP REDUCED.jpg

Next big question: why couldn't I use the same VFD to power a simple 3/4 HP 3 phase buffer motor like this one?: http://www.mile-x.com/baldor-334b-3ph-buffer/
Or better yet, why not use the same VFD to power my G0754 mill/drill? (after swapping the motor of course to a three phase one).
You would never run any two at the same time, of course, but could I wire all three machines to the same VFD, and relay-switch the setup to only run one motor with the VFD at any point in time?

Last edited:
I use the same 30amp 220v circuit for both my lathe and mill but never run them both at the same time. It's only me in the shop so that is easy to do but would not be a good idea in a commercial shop with more than one person working in it. As to the VFD, I would prefer to have a separate VFD for each piece of equipment. The programming required for each application would make it inconvenient to even try to use one VFD for several machines. At just under $300 their not cheap but also not overly expensive either. You could also look at a cheaper but less featured VFD like a TECO for a machine that doesn't need the extra features.

I agree with sanddan, the program and overload parameters are quite different. Th WJ200 can be set for two different motors, but both would need to respond to the same inputs. A 1Hp Teco VFD is about $150, so would be my first choice and can run off of 120V. My mill has two VFDs for the axis drives and a variable DC main drive, much easier to go that route. If you need to go really inexpensive for a VFD drive, KB Electronics has some that you can pick up for under $100, but need an enclosure, etc. Smaller mills generally have pretty basic VFD requirements. A word of caution, many of the cheaper VFDs do not offer 3 wire control which works well for mills. Last Teco VFD build required a relay board to convert over to 3 wire with momentary direction/stop switches.

May want to start a new post so others can follow each of your builds.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I figured I may as well put it with my lathe's original thread rather than start a new thread, maybe I will post it in project of the day as well.

I have been wanting to machine an outboard spider for the lathe spindle. I started by measuring the spindle.
2iuotqq.jpg

I also noticed that the hole in the cover was not symmetrical with the protruding spindle. The hole was favoring one side more than the other and I needed adequate clearance for the sleeve I was going to machine.

Here you can see where I roughly marked with a Sharpie where I needed to trim.
2zss2n9.jpg

Here I clamped the cast aluminum cover down to my mill table.
2zss2n9.jpg

Setting up the boring head to clean up some of the casting flash in the existing hole. I would then merely move the table in the "Y" axis and offset it about .150".
121vi8y.jpg

Making progress.
5ehnc0.jpg

Boring completed.
35aue4j.jpg

Cover test fit. The clearance is much more even around the spindle now and ready to accept an outboard spider without coming in contact with the cover.
5x24p0.jpg

My rough dimensions of the spider.
bi7bqr.jpg

As soon as I have some more time in the shop I will start on the spider as I found a piece of thick walled tubing to start with in my scrap bin.

Mike.

2zss2n9.jpg

Back