Mystery Clausing?

Dave Bonzo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm not up on Clausing models as well as I should be, but this one grabbed my attention as part of a package deal, along with a little Ammco shaper. There's a solid bit of tooling and stuffs with it, and I like the fact that is has an undermount motor - I have very limited space - but the seller can't tell me what the model is, and I can't seem to find a dead match from looking at photos online. He's had this thing for ten years and seems to have used it some, but he honestly doesn't seem that savvy on the machine itself...which is fine, no judgement, but it makes things harder for someone buying it. He said that he can't find a model number on it anywhere; any ideas or opinions on what it might be? Screenshots from my phone are attached; apologies for the low quality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230421-192931~2.png
    Screenshot_20230421-192931~2.png
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20230421-192937~2.png
    Screenshot_20230421-192937~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20230421-192944~2.png
    Screenshot_20230421-192944~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20230421-192950~2.png
    Screenshot_20230421-192950~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20230421-192954~2.png
    Screenshot_20230421-192954~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
By the looks of it a 12” Clausing 6300? By the sounds of it early ones were of the 200 series though, which may explain the “213” on the machine plate.

IMG_2070.png
Here’s a link to some good reading on them….

@DavidR8 has recently done research on Clausings. He might be able to add some info...

If it helps, the seller is saying it's a 13" swing with a 36" bed. I'm going to take a look at it in the morning...which should be fun, because I'm not very good at evaluating machinery, yet; at least not this kind.

I've been looking at the lathes.co.uk page; there are a couple of things that look similar, so thanks for that lead. Anything I need to watch out for, or be aware of, or am I just evaluating general wear and tear?

@francist has nailed it. That’s a 200 series. Nice machine!

Thank you, sirs and/or madams! Anything specific I need to pay attention to? Any warning signs or encouraging details in the photos? Any specific methods that I need to use for checking this one out?

Nice looking lathe. Look to see if it has ever been damaged. They are very top heavy and can fall when being moved. Check for broken gear teeth in the gear train. Check to make sure the change gears are there.

Martin

I never have found the "model-specific" section in that write-up; maybe it's how my phone displays it, or maybe it's the more abbreviated mentions of a few models that are sprinkled throughout...but it's a good read, nonetheless. I happen to agree with the assertion of not bringing a dial indicator; when I've bought equipment in the past - mostly woodworking, but a few automotive tools - I've basically asked the seller to set the tool up and run it and show me all of the features and how they work. If they can't do that, I start getting leery; that indicates someone that doesn't know the correct way to run their own equipment...much less maintain it, usually. Most problems reveal themselves quickly; in several cases, I've been able to tell by looking at the shop itself whether I wanted to buy the tool or not. Hopefully that holds up, today; I know that one buyer has passed, already, so either something is wrong or they couldn't get to an agreement on price. The asking price for both tools and all the bits is $3500; seems like I have a thing for that number, lately.

Good advice on the damage check; I don't see anything obvious in the pics, but hopefully any cracked handles or dents or bends or whatnot will quickly reveal themselves. I have zero idea of how to check the geartrain in this thing; hopefully there's an access cover that will make it easy.

Back