Mystery Clausing?

Well, the package was $3500, but I didn't pay half for that shaper. Not even close. I didn't even know what to offer for it and he wasn't sure what it was worth, so I set a price in my head that I thought would be fair - I did that on dead reckoning, to be honest - and he said he'd take a bit less than what I was guessing...so I basically paid what he asked and I think we both felt like we got a fair deal; I'm 100% okay with that. But right now, he's at $2500 on the lathe and all of the stuff that goes with it. I think that's pretty high, but I understand where he's coming from in saying "well they're worth X dollars together" and wanting to get the balance from the other piece that he still has.

I think it's good practice to let other people know about the ad; that's a good suggestion. Here's the current listing.

He has it at $3K, there, but he told me $2500 directly, yesterday. I do plan on going to look at it one evening this week, and if we somehow get together on a price I can go up there next Saturday and load it (once I find something to load it into)...but I'm concerned that we won't come to a price agreement. I'm encouraged that I was thinking $1750-ish because I wasn't too far off from what you guys are saying, but that's a long, long way from what he wants.

So yeah, that's where we are right now. Honestly, I'd give him $1750 for it because I probably underpaid for the Ammco, but I don't want to be into it for much more. I don't mind a project, but I don't want to break myself on it, either.

If he takes 1750 I’d scoop it up.
See if you can split the difference at 2k maybe?

See if you can split the difference at 2k maybe?

That's probably a solid course; I can take that in cash and, pending that everything is turning correctly and working, make the offer.

To complicate matters, there's a South Bend 10" for sale about four hours away from here, for a grand. Cosmetics are bad even from the photos, but supposedly it's running pretty straight and true. That's tempting. Linky below.

That’s a Heavy 10 with a taper attachment.
For a grand that’s a really decent deal.

I thought so too. It needs some visual love, but if it has it where it counts, I would grab it. It's just that I'm over 4 hours away and I'm going to have to rent a truck to move it, and do so on speculation: I don't know of anyone in that area that could inspect it, and nobody there knows me. I'm going to call about it, regardless, but I don't think I am in a position - literally - to snag it.

Good deals go quickly. Go with cash in hand as soon as you see one or it’ll be gone.

John

Oh, and rent a drop deck trailer to move anything of substance. You’ll be glad you did.

Oh, and rent a drop deck trailer to move anything of substance. You’ll be glad you did.

That's where it gets complicated. I have exactly two vehicles: one of them doesn't have a hitch that's compatible with anything, and the other is an F-150 that I've used to haul anything and everything, and which has a hitch that fits it all...the only problem is that it's currently 3,000 miles away from me, because I haven't driven it out to the new home with everything in it that we still haven't moved. So I'm either looking at truck/van rental, or attempting to stuff it into the back of our housemate's Golf...which, as hilarious and often-successful as that is, probably won't work in this case.

Regardless, you're correct in that being the ideal way to move this kind of stuff; it's either that method, or paying for delivery. Everything else is more difficult.

I called and texted on the South Bend, just on the possibility that it might be available. $20 says it isn't, but it's always worth reaching out.

If you close a deal try reaching out to folks on the forum.

Good advice; I'll check to see if anyone is in that area.

Meanwhile, the seller called and said that he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow, and he thinks that guy is going to buy it...but if for some reason he doesn't, I'm next in line. $20 bet still stands, but it does sound like a nice machine, overall. Doesn't really need much work, if any.

Back