Mystery Clausing?

Did some thinking when I couldn't sleep at 1:45 in the morning, which is the absolute worst time for thinking unless you're H.P. Lovecraft...

I'm going to send the Clausing seller a basic email with what I can do on price; I think that's the best thing to do when I account for both my time and his, and my fuel money...and diesel isn't cheap, these days. I don't want to go up there and poke at it for another half hour, only to realize that we're too far apart on price...and meanwhile, he's still trying to sell it to someone. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of decent lathes in the world, and I'm not married to this particular one, despite the not-so-far proximity. I mean, there's a little Logan 820 that came up for sale just last night for $750 with a small pile of tooling; that may not be a bad deal, despite the fact that it's currently at least - and I'm not making this up - four different colors. Point is this: I don't have to jump at things like I did when I lived back east; here, at least there are regularly-appearing options.

I think $2k would be a good price for the lathe for you and your seller. A grand for a heavy 10 in anything better than "just hauled up from twenty years at 2000ft with no tooling " is a steal. No one's going to take you up on your bet unfortunately.

If something like this comes up in the future you can hire an F150 for not much money from uhaul

Well, fortunately for me, that Heavy 10 did sell today; the seller called me back and let me know that the first guy in line did take it, although he didn't seem too happy about it. Evidently there was a lot of complaining and nitpicking about most everything. But I'm with you: if it's a good price, it's a good price...and as long as both people think they came out ahead, it's a good deal.

I looked into trucks from Uhaul; they don't keep a lot of the pickups in stock right around me, but it's possible to find one semi-locally. Home Depot is also a nice resource for shorter moves, as well; that's what I used for my drill press, and it was pretty easy and seamless.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of their input: it's really helped to hear the different perspectives, values and bargaining techniques!

Back