Mystery spacer

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My wife came upstairs and handed me a small block of something like wafer board. It was a couple inches square and maybe 1/2" thick. It had a flattened blob of glue on it. She heard something fall in the kitchen, but she was in the other room, so she found it on the floor. Guessing it's some kind of spacer for the cabinetry, but at this point neither of us have any idea where it came from. I'm guessing we will eventually find where it came from, but right now it's a random small block.

I need to find out why our dishwasher is slightly tilted. Think the spacer may have come from somewhere in that area. Of course that means lying on the floor and taking stuff apart. Think I'll tackle that tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too hard to re-level things. It's just spacers and screw levelers, right?

My wife came upstairs and handed me a small block of something like wafer board. It was a couple inches square and maybe 1/2" thick. It had a flattened blob of glue on it. She heard something fall in the kitchen, but she was in the other room, so she found it on the floor. Guessing it's some kind of spacer for the cabinetry, but at this point neither of us have any idea where it came from. I'm guessing we will eventually find where it came from, but right now it's a random small block.
Sounds like a gusset/corner bracing block from one of the cabinet base units.

I need to find out why our dishwasher is slightly tilted. Think the spacer may have come from somewhere in that area. Of course that means lying on the floor and taking stuff apart. Think I'll tackle that tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too hard to re-level things. It's just spacers and screw levelers, right?
At 1/2” thick, I doubt the block has anything to do with this issue, unless the dishwasher was wedged against it rather than being attached to the underside of the countertop and leveled with adjustable feet. Hopefully you can just level the front legs and won’t need to access the ones in the back. Check YouTube.

Reactions: rwm
The way appliances are made these days, it probably came with the dishwasher as a factory leveling accessory because the machine was crooked.

The trick would be being able to get up off the floor after having made the adjustments, at least for me ---
Got me one of these here Gardener’s Kneeler & Seat thingamabobs off Amazon three years ago to save my knees and help getting back up when there wasn’t anything close by to lean on (then lost 90 lbs. and have only used it occasionally):

IMG_6449.jpeg

The trick would be being able to get up off the floor after having made the adjustments, at least for me ---
Same here. Easy getting down, much harder to get back up. Even worse if you don't have every possible tool next to you when you lie down on the floor!

Sounds like a gusset/corner bracing block from one of the cabinet base units.

At 1/2” thick, I doubt the block has anything to do with this issue, unless the dishwasher was wedged against it rather than being attached to the underside of the countertop and leveled with adjustable feet. Hopefully you can just level the front legs and won’t need to access the ones in the back. Check YouTube.
Likely some bracing block. My wife just heard a sound and saw it on the floor. It is annoying to not know where it came from.

Hoping it will be simple to level the front legs (and they aren't bent or something). Will be trying tomorrow morning. First thing is to take off the kick plate so I can even see the adjusting screws. Whereas I installed the previous dishwasher (and redid all the plumbing), this one was done by the folks remodeling our kitchen.

The dishwasher has been sagging a while, and I had been putting it off. The round tuit has come due. It could simply be that the flooring has been pushed down by the too small pads under the leveling screws. Maybe it's just too high of a contact pressure for the material.

Was wondering what I'd be doing tomorrow morning, now I know.

You've been to my places , how ya think I feel ? :eek: :grin: :rolleyes:
Yes I have, but I don't recall stuff jumping out spontaneously!

Your place was like it was oozing tools and stuff :cool 3: Was a fun visit.

Back