Need 5yo explanation for Fusion360 project

I would either use a chamfer or split the faces with a plane and then apply a draft. In your case, I agree that a chamfer is the way to go.

Good luck with Fusion, and have fun! You’ll be a pro before you know it.

I feel your pain. I have only been using Fusion for a year and still a lot to learn but if you have not figured this out yet I would be happy to post a quick video of exactly this rather than you trying to watch other videos to find it. Let me know, I can knock out a video this afternoon when I get off work.

I feel your pain. I have only been using Fusion for a year and still a lot to learn but if you have not figured this out yet I would be happy to post a quick video of exactly this rather than you trying to watch other videos to find it. Let me know, I can knock out a video this afternoon when I get off work.

Wow, that would be awesome if you could! I was actually going to make one showing what I was doing wrong but realized that would be a pretty long video. ;-)

Wow, that would be awesome if you could! I was actually going to make one showing what I was doing wrong but realized that would be a pretty long video. ;-)
Sounds good. Will post it in a bit.

@tonydi , I'm dubbing around in Fusion 360 if you want to watch what I'm doing live. Here is the Discord server link. You will need to create an account.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm dubbing around in Fusion 360 if you want to watch what I'm doing live. Here is the Discord server link. You will need to create an account.

Oh sorry @BladesIIB I didn't know you posted a video. My bad. I'm still on live if anyone wants to join.

vtcnc no problem. As long as @tonydi gets his issue resolved that is really all that matters. Here is the short video I put together, I hope it helps him and anyone else. Couple ways to solve the issue, this covers doing them in an order where you have all flat planes to sketch on, or a different order where you need to set up an offset plane. @tonydi I hope this helps you find your Oh that's it point. If not keep asking, we will get you sorted out.

vtcnc no problem. As long as @tonydi gets his issue resolved that is really all that matters. Here is the short video I put together, I hope it helps him and anyone else. Couple ways to solve the issue, this covers doing them in an order where you have all flat planes to sketch on, or a different order where you need to set up an offset plane. @tonydi I hope this helps you find your Oh that's it point. If not keep asking, we will get you sorted out.

Nice video, and it demonstrates there is more than one way to skin a cat in Fusion. I have one mocked up on my live video now using the chamfer tool. The nice thing about using that feature is you can quickly play around with the dimensions, angles, etc. without having to go through the hassle of creating planes, offset planes and sketches.

Yes always several ways for sure. I use chamfer a lot but not the way you described, will have to play with that. Assumed he had a dimension to go from, so a sketch would be simple, and in the correct order, no offset plane required. Fun learning regardless. Neat that you can set up a live demo, great way to help folks.

This was a huge help, thanks so much @BladesIIB. And thanks for your efforts, too, @vtcnc, sorry I wasn't online when you did that.

Ok, here are a couple of issues I still have...

1. When you create the lines between the two points, you say that it automatically fills in the rest of the sketch. It doesn't seem like that happens for me and maybe it's because when I draw the line, it doesn't really "end" cleanly like it does for you. I click Line, click the first dot, click the second dot and when I move the mouse to go to the other sets of dots, it's still trying to draw more lines.

2. When I finally got the two triangular sections sketched on the bottom of the part and click Finish on the sketch, when I try and select them to do the push/pull, it just selects the entire face. This has to be related to #1 somehow.

I can see a number of reasons why I failed before. The order definitely makes a difference as I wasn't starting on the top. And I used the sides instead of the bottom and got some bizarre results that I'm not sure could even actually be machined!

Your second method makes sense once I see it, but there's no way I'd ever would have visualized this or even recognized when it was appropriate. However your last part with that little sliver of the drawing still remaining is something I'd stumbled across during my previous trials and tribulations. Good to know that's just a abnormality with F360 and how to deal with it.

Back