Need 5yo explanation for Fusion360 project

@tonydi glad to hear you made some progress. Let me try to answer your questions and see if we can get you there.

1. Finishing lines can be done by double clicking at the end of your line or by hitting escape. For me the double click is less consistent if I bounce the mouse when doing it. I am in the habit of using escape. By default the line command is set to chain lines together. There are likely other ways to end them those are what I use. Also when sketching on the part it does not technically fill in the other lines it is just that Fusion should recognize when you are sketching up to other lines vs sketching in the open and when you go up to other lines they will “close” the shape.

2. Very likely your issue is related to the lines. My understanding is Fusion is designed to allow you to select any “closed” shape and manipulate it. If you are not able to select those triangles then it would seem they are not fully “closed”. Couple ideas. Are you sketching on the surface of your part or on the plane (top, bottom, left etc. ) or did your point not snap to the edge, line not snap to point creating an opening? Zoom in and see and tip the model a bit to ensure that triangle is a complete triangle.

I hope that gives you some thoughts to try or someone else can jump in as we narrow your issues.

I had some other feedback on my video and the points are not required, you can draw and dimension the lines directly in a sketch and save some steps. Instead of the offset plane I could have selected the remaining body of the clamp on the side behind the newly created beveled front corner and still sketched out on that flat plane to make the cut across the top.

Hang in there, I am sure we can help you clear this up.

Use the chamfer tool in the modify menu. You can do an equidistant chamfer, I.e. 45 degrees, or by angle and distance. You want the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great tip! I'm just learning Fusion 360 as well. That tip worked pretty darn slick. Thank You!

Use the chamfer tool in the modify menu. You can do an equidistant chamfer, I.e. 45 degrees, or by angle and distance. You want the latter.

I tried the chamfer tool and it was pretty easy to use. I did not get all three edges to line up on the ends. Looked close but zoom in and they were a little off. I am sure if I played with it I would get it, maybe the blend options for the chamfer or is there something easy I am missing?

If you use distance and angle, you can specify the distances to get the transitions to land in the same position.

Anyone want to watch live?

If you use distance and angle, you can specify the distances to get the transitions to land in the same position.

Anyone want to watch live?

Gotcha. I was using distance and angle, but using distance to get to the center from the top and move the same distance toward the center from the two edges, leaving me with trying to line them up with the different angles from top and side. Flipping them would make sense. Select the same distance for all 3 back from the front and adjust the angle. Thanks!

Yup. Pick a distance and angle and try it out. You will have to flip depending on which face is first picked but a little trial and error using this while in the dialogue makes it plain how this feature works. It is precise and predictable. You don’t have to worry about line breaks, constraints, sketches and work planes.

2. Very likely your issue is related to the lines. My understanding is Fusion is designed to allow you to select any “closed” shape and manipulate it. If you are not able to select those triangles then it would seem they are not fully “closed”. Couple ideas. Are you sketching on the surface of your part or on the plane (top, bottom, left etc. ) or did your point not snap to the edge, line not snap to point creating an opening? Zoom in and see and tip the model a bit to ensure that triangle is a complete triangle.

This is so frustrating! I'm sooo close but yet.....

I looked and indeed the triangles weren't perfectly closed. I decided to switch to using lines rather than the points. Created the two triangles and was able to select them both and get ready to extrude....

Capture.PNG

Then I did the extrusion upwards and got those little remnants like you had in your offset plane procedure....

Capture2.PNG

If I select that piece on the right and delete it, it basically undoes that angle cut and I'm back to a square corner. Haven't been able to select the sliver piece on the left at all. I backed up and looked at where the lines were in case they weren't snapped to the side and end lines but no matter how hard I try to make them perfectly aligned, I get this.

Is there something in the Extrude dialog box that needs to be changed?

This is so frustrating! I'm sooo close but yet.....

I looked and indeed the triangles weren't perfectly closed. I decided to switch to using lines rather than the points. Created the two triangles and was able to select them both and get ready to extrude....

View attachment 375132

Then I did the extrusion upwards and got those little remnants like you had in your offset plane procedure....

View attachment 375133

If I select that piece on the right and delete it, it basically undoes that angle cut and I'm back to a square corner. Haven't been able to select the sliver piece on the left at all. I backed up and looked at where the lines were in case they weren't snapped to the side and end lines but no matter how hard I try to make them perfectly aligned, I get this.

Is there something in the Extrude dialog box that needs to be changed?

Your triangle sketches are not coincident with the edges of the base part.

Seriously, use the chamfer tool.

As vtcnc said the lines are the issue. If you Le left the extra pieces from inside it should just select the part you want to delete. Or go to edit your sketch and adjust your lines. You don’t have to start over. In the timeline at the bottom you can right click on your sketch to edit. Or use the chamfer tool but assume you want to learn sketching for future purposes as well?

Still, great progress though. Learning is part of the process. Took me 6 hours to get rid of a couple little slivers before, just a process.

As vtcnc said the lines are the issue. If you Le left the extra pieces from inside it should just select the part you want to delete. Or go to edit your sketch and adjust your lines. You don’t have to start over. In the timeline at the bottom you can right click on your sketch to edit. Or use the chamfer tool but assume you want to learn sketching for future purposes as well?

Still, great progress though. Learning is part of the process. Took me 6 hours to get rid of a couple little slivers before, just a process.

Holy #@^@&, 6 hours??? Now I don't feel so bad.

I succumbed to vtcnc's advice (thank YOU so much for that) and switched to the chamfer tool. Now that I understand why all the oddball things were happening I can address those issues as I go forward with other sketching but I really just wanted to get one small victory under my belt

Capture.PNG

Now my only question is, how do I make that "nose" piece wider? If I change the angle then I don't get the side chamfers to line up with the top chamfer line.

Back