Need A Cost Effective Solution To Move My Lathe, Mill And Other Machinery

Your cheapest "safe" option will be to rent a truck with a lift gate, and rent a powered forklift (not a pallet jack) at each end.
You can use the fork to crane the machines onto pallets, load them onto the lift gate, then push them into the truck. Ride the lift gate with the fork to move the machine into place.
Put the lathe at the front crosswise, and the mill and BS as far forward as possible on each side to balance the load.
If you have to drive some of those famous winding California roads, cross brace the BS and mill with 2x4's rather than depend on straps holding them from tipping over.

When I moved here, I moved a big band saw (stands about 7 feet tall), a 2000lb jointer, a 1600lb planer, 2 cabinet saws, and other misc equipment with a rented lift gate truck. We used pry-bars, rollers, a come-along, lots of sweat, and did not put anything on pallets. Took me and a buddy all day to load and unload the truck and it was scary as hell. I swore I would get the right equipment if I ever had to move the shop again - we almost tipped the planer over getting it off the lift gate. The stuff we moved is more or less the same size, shape and weight as what you are needing to move, it can be done. Trust me, get a fork lift...

You really should hire a rigger and a bonded/insured mover. These tools are too heavy and expensive to start getting cheap on moving. 2 or 3 grand to have the entire ordeal dealt with is money well spent. If you can't get a really good referral for a rigger, contact the local union (Specialized carriers and riggers I think it is called). A union shop means you get a journeyman that has finished his apprenticeship. There are some very skilled non-union shops, but you have a better chance of having a YouTube moment if you hire a random non-union shop. A close friend of mine is a union iron worker, I have learned to have a great deal of respect for the training and apprenticeship program he underwent to become a rigger.

No matter what, contact your insurance company, make sure they will give full replacement to these machines during transportation even if the damage is caused by "incompetence."

-Josh

rent a powered forklift (not a pallet jack) at each end.
Keep in mind that there are some places where a fork lift will not fit. Be it limitations in ceiling height, door size or, room to maneuver. A good pallet jack works very well - much better than I expected. My Series II Bridgeport weighs 5000 lbs. and it was a piece of cake to move with a pallet jack. The jack could handle 5500 lbs. and it was still very steady.

When I had riggers move the mill into its last location, they used "skates" under the machine. The pallet jack was SOOOO much easier!

Just a reference point for riggers to move a BP S1 and 12x36 lathe. This is in TX and most likely they are using cheaper rate than CA

"Based on the information provided in the email, I would estimate the cost to perform this project for you to be about $3,350.00

It’s roughly about 260 miles round trip and we have a 4 hour minimum during the week (8 hour on the weekend) with tooling and standard rigging equipment. ":

The second estimate I received was $100 higher than the first one.

I think you could rent a trailer that lowers to about 6" or so they use them for heavy safes and things like that. They are large enough to haul what you own and I bet the rent wouldn't bore then $500 if you tow it yourself , just anchor everything really well . Quick starts and fast stops are tuff to control for heavy machinery . Pallet jacks work well you can bolt 4 x 4 s to them and make the easy to move . Your machines will be less tippy if you make them wider and or longer .

Don't know about the saw but the lathe and mill can/should be removed from the stand. this will take the center of gravity way down and help prevent the tippy part. it also will help with handling of the truck/trailer. But I think pods might be a good way to go.
Mark

Thanks for all the suggestions. Pods doesn't go to the island. Looking at alternatives...

The Pod people helped me move 400 miles they shipped about 15k lbs of my shops, locomotive, rolling stock and metal. and stored it for almost a year while I finished the floor in the shop. The way the delivery driver's lift grunted when he set it at the house was priceless and he hung around out of dying curiosity. Even though they said no weight limit, I knew better and set all on stringers to span their lift points and blocked and braced everything. I'd use them again.
Who are the Pod people?

Have you tried the "couple-case" moving method?

"Hey guys, come help me drink this couple of cases of beer! Before we start thought..."

I had already planned to use Pods. Even if I have to have a commercial box it's better than me hiring riggers for all this. But I'm a few years away from having to move so maybe something else will come up (like maybe I buy a truck or something).

Back