Need A Cost Effective Solution To Move My Lathe, Mill And Other Machinery

Well, the crater and freighter people came and got all my stuff loaded safely. They came with a big truck with liftgate and spent more time securing everything in the truck than loading it.

We will see if everything arrives safe but so far so good. I am so tired from packing- regular moving truck comes in the morning and then we drive 1100 miles with 3 dogs.

Good luck with the move. it's never a pleasant process but hopefully you won't have to do it again for a while!

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. My stuff should arrive in the next few days and we arrived at the new house okay. Driving from socal to Washington state with 3 dogs in my truck was an experience. I look forward to getting everything setup and working again.

Well looks like I'm next on the move list. House is sold settlement date of Aug 6th., but will be moving twice as we are going to new construction that won't be ready until Jan/Feb (make that March builders always under estimate).

So most everything will have to go to storage and not having a shop for 6-9 months will drive me nuts.

My former neighbor moved his shop by making skids and crates for his 3 lathes, 2 mills, work bench, blueing tanks and other equipment. He moved them with a pallet jack and hired a freight company with a heavy hydraulic lift gate.
As for me I'm glad I live in "hay" country, most of the neighbors have Tele-handlers (rough terrain forklift) to load 1 ton hay bales onto 18 wheeler trucks. The machines were set on planks then rolled into the shop.
Have a good day
Ray

Have you contacted United Van Lines? In our area they have a specialty division that specializes in moving industrial equipment. We moved several machine shops which included press brakes, mills lathes, surface grinders, welding equipment, etc., etc. In total there were over 100 pieces of equipment. The movers had all the equipment and trucks to get everything from one place to another without a scratch.

We used the same company to move rebuilt machinery from our shops to production facilities. We moved about 80 machines from various parts of the country to a centrally located rebuild shop, then back to it's original location. It cost about $1,000.oo to ship a machine cross country. Each machine weighed in at about 5 tons and was about 1/4 of a load for a 53 foot box trailer.

Have you contacted United Van Lines? In our area they have a specialty division that specializes in moving industrial equipment. We moved several machine shops which included press brakes, mills lathes, surface grinders, welding equipment, etc., etc. In total there were over 100 pieces of equipment. The movers had all the equipment and trucks to get everything from one place to another without a scratch.

We used the same company to move rebuilt machinery from our shops to production facilities. We moved about 80 machines from various parts of the country to a centrally located rebuild shop, then back to it's original location. It cost about $1,000.oo to ship a machine cross country. Each machine weighed in at about 5 tons and was about 1/4 of a load for a 53 foot box trailer.

Make sure it is their 'Specialty Division', the regular movers aren't worth squat. When they moved me from IL to TN,
they busted up handles on the Logan, knocked up two of the drill presses switches, ruined a jigsaw. Bashed up boxes,
dented tool chests, a whole bunch of damage. And they scarfed up a bunch of household items.
That being said another co-worker also had United but a different franchise. They packed all his shop equipment in crates
before loading. So I guess it just depends.
It's tricky moving the heavy stuff. If I had to do it again I'd shop it around better.

Back