Need A Cost Effective Solution To Move My Lathe, Mill And Other Machinery

I moved a lathe and mill from 20 mi south of SF to my home in northern Sonoma County. The lathe is a 2500lb Sharp 1118H with some very restricted spaces, and my driveway prevents a large truck from getting close - so I had to shop around for a rigger who could handle the job I used:

Vierra Trucking
24227 Palomares Rd
Castro Valley, CA 94552
510-582-8412 fax 510-581-5114
vierratrucking@earthlink.net

and I was very satisfied with their work.

They had a unique rig with large pickup truck with a clever rig for lifting the lathe. They also had very low profile "skates" and the other equipment they needed. I have some pics of that if you email me (greg@blowsmeaway.com)

Rent a 20' container and a folklift. Contact shipping company. Rent another folklift on other end to unload.

Well, that was quick- I sold the house in 2 weeks and now have to be out by June 30th. I am moving from Santa Monica to Bainbridge Island- 1000 miles roughly. Movers don't want to touch the 13x40 jet cnc lathe or the pm45 mill or my giant Agazzani bandsaw. If anyone has a good suggestion on cost effectively moving this stuff, it would be really appreciated.
I've seen a tow truck used to load and unload heavy equipment - fairly cheap and ubiquitous (in fact, often cheaper the farther you are from civilization - unlike rigging service). You might need a bigger one like they use to pull trucks and buses, depending on how high it has to go. One nice thing about this method is you don't need a crate or skid if you can use sling or the lifting rings on the machines.

My daughter moved across the country last year. Pods were not available where she lived, but the Pods company referred her to a sister company that provided a short tractor/trailer-type trailer. She and her friends loaded it, then it was delivered to her at the new location, where she and I unloaded it. I don't remember the name of the company, but Pods should know. The cost was about the same as a Pods container, I think. Good luck.

Not clear on the details, but .... if you buy new from Enco and other suppliers do they include free shipping to ......?
Just a thought. I'm not suggesting that your machines need replacing. Merely, buying new may be the best price.

Daryl
MN

moved with a crowbar a few pipes a trailer and a engine lift... lathe was taken off the cabinet

milllathe.jpg

I had to shop around for a rigger who could handle the job I used:

Vierra Trucking
24227 Palomares Rd
Castro Valley, CA 94552
510-582-8412 fax 510-581-5114
vierratrucking@earthlink.net

and I was very satisfied with their work.
In 1990 I bought my lathe and mill in Fremont. CA. The machinery dealer had the machines delivered by Vierra Trucking to my shop in Sonoma County. Many years later, I needed another machine moved from the Sierra foothills to my shop. I unknowingly ended up having Vierra Trucking move it. I didn't realize it was the same company until they arrived and I recognized them.

They do excellent work at very reasonable prices. I highly recommend them!

Update:

I found a firm that specializes in shipping machinery called Craters and Freighters. They do really heavy stuff over 20k lbs even. They are fully crating everything, shipping from socal to seattle area and unloading to my drive way for $3300 bucks. The guy was very responsive and they sent someone out to measure and work up a real quote instead of just an estimate.

From the quote:shppin.jpg

Not bad for the price. It has been really busy between work and packing but I am really excited to move to the new house next week.

From LA to Washington, it was the best quote I got. Reference I called seemed credible and everything will be insured.

Anyway, for anyone moving heavy equipment, this may be an option- we shall see. I will post if my machines make it okay...

Considering the massive head ache moving a shop adds to moving a household, $3300.00 is a deal.

seems pretty reasonable to me too - cost me twice that to move twice the weight across the country last year and no rigging services needed. One of the guys was quite surprised by the weight of my benchtop hydraulic press though :)

Back