Need buying advice for Enco lathes

The sheer mass of the lathe to me would make the biggest difference because that is the limiting factor on the depth of cut you can take, the accuracy of your finish cuts, and your enjoyment. Compare the import 9" lathes with some of the rare high quality ones like an EMCO (not ENCO). The Emco is tremendously more heavy for the same travel size and this is for good reason.

True, but the Atlas Craftsman I have is not known for being particularly rigid. The weak point is the compound. I can make a cut about 0.025" in steel before the lathe bogs down. That's with lube, a sharp bit, slow feed rate and proper RPM. Knowing this, I adjust my workflow accordingly.

If you are used to working on a heavy 12" swing lathe, I bet you'll be disappointed when a tiny lathe squawks at you for pushing it a little too hard.

I think you'd really be better off waiting for a generic 12x36 to turn up, or maybe a Heavy 10 or Sheldon equivalent. Anything less will just trade one problem (messy change gears) for another (lack of rigidity, lack of size etc). Send Ulma Doc a message, that guy has a sixth sense for machine tool deals :)

I'm pretty sure a 12x36 is too big, but I might be able to get a 10x-- on the bench.

If anyone has a 12x36, let me know how deep it really is. I'm just relying on the dimensions the seller gave me, and what I could find in various manuals for similar lathes.
Maybe it would help if I showed you a picture of where this will need to go:
DSC00384.JPG
The column to the left of the lathe is 45-1/2" from the right end of the bench. It's 9" wide and sticks out 4-3/4", leaving 19-1/2" clear. The bench is 24-1/4" deep everywhere else. Length is not an issue; I got another 8 feet to the left.

I found another lathe for sale. It's a far drive for me, though. He's asking $2500. It was listed 14 weeks ago. It's an Enco 110-2031, which is a 12 x 58, I think, which is probably too large. I've asked the seller to tell me some dimensions. There's not a lot of info about this. Thoughts? Anyone own this lathe?
lathe enco 110-2031 FB mktplc.jpg

I found another lathe for sale. It's a far drive for me, though. He's asking $2500. It was listed 14 weeks ago. It's an Enco 110-2031, which is a 12 x 58, I think, which is probably too large. I've asked the seller to tell me some dimensions. There's not a lot of info about this. Thoughts? Anyone own this lathe?
View attachment 345990

This is again a 12" lathe similar to the Grizzly G9249. The notable difference is that the Enco has an MT2 tailstock without a graded handwheel while the Grizzly uses an MT3 with the handwheel.

Just throwing an idea out here... Can you take an aluminum plate or even some thick plywood and extend the lathe slightly beyond the front of the bench? Not asking for it to be hanging off, but just enough to give you an extra inch or two.

The manual lists the depth at 27 inches, although much of that is the handwheels. I measured the meat of mine an it is 23" with the handwheels sticking out an additional 4".

$2500 is a LOT for this lathe where I live. I'm happy with the $1100 I paid. Many have gotten better deals than that. It is missing the chip pan which is no longer available from Grizzly. I'd pay up to $1500 personally unless it came with a LOT of tooling. Check for the standard accessories like an 8" 4 jaw, the steady and follow rests, and the full set of change gears. Nice lathe tho.

I looked at all of the 12" lathes sold by Grizzly and PM and they are all wider than 24", most list a width of about 29". From what I understand the 12" Craftsman was really just a 10" Atlas lifted to give it a 12" swing, but with the same bed width which is why yours is narrower than most of the 12" lathes you are looking at.

With your width constraints you may find that your best option is an older 10-11" lathe with a QCGB.

None of the current lathes under 12" have a full QCGB, but vintage USA and older imports from the 80s did. Something like a Jet 1024 for the imports, and most of the old USA made lathes of this size had them as an option. The Southbend Heavy 10 and many 11" lathes have a 1-3/8" spindle bore which would be more than your current lathe which I assume is around 3/4". Some of the later 10" lathes had a 1" spindle bore, and most of the 11" lathes have a 1-3/8" spindle bore so trading a little swing for a QCGB, longer bed, possibly a bigger spindle bore seems a fair trade.

Found this thread on the forum. Enco 110-2031 Lathe Newbie Questions | The Hobby-Machinist (hobby-machinist.com)

The grizzly G9249 is similar. Here is the manual. g9249_m.pdf (grizzly.com)

The forum in downloads has several enco manuals. Not the best copy.

Found some drawings for Jet 12 inch lathes that are also similar. The width from the back to the very tip of the handles in the front is 27.5" to 28" It would just barely fit on your bench. This is one big lathe.

Thanks, Chuck! This didn't show up in my searches for some reason. It looks like this lathe needs way more room than I have, so I think I'll have to go with something smaller.
The dimension I really need is from the back of the metal box on the headstock to the front of the feet. The handles can overhang, but the lathe can't.

Thanks, Chuck! This didn't show up in my searches for some reason. It looks like this lathe needs way more room than I have, so I think I'll have to go with something smaller.
The dimension I really need is from the back of the metal box on the headstock to the front of the feet. The handles can overhang, but the lathe can't.

That dimension is roughly 17-18"

This is again a 12" lathe similar to the Grizzly G9249. The notable difference is that the Enco has an MT2 tailstock without a graded handwheel while the Grizzly uses an MT3 with the handwheel.

Just throwing an idea out here... Can you take an aluminum plate or even some thick plywood and extend the lathe slightly beyond the front of the bench? Not asking for it to be hanging off, but just enough to give you an extra inch or two.

The manual lists the depth at 27 inches, although much of that is the handwheels. I measured the meat of mine an it is 23" with the handwheels sticking out an additional 4".

$2500 is a LOT for this lathe where I live. I'm happy with the $1100 I paid. Many have gotten better deals than that. It is missing the chip pan which is no longer available from Grizzly. I'd pay up to $1500 personally unless it came with a LOT of tooling. Check for the standard accessories like an 8" 4 jaw, the steady and follow rests, and the full set of change gears. Nice lathe tho.

I don't think I can make an overhang since this is already encroaching on the garage space.

The dimension I really need is from the back of the metal housing on the headstock to the font of the feet. The handles can stick out a bit. I called the seller and they are getting dimensions for me. When I talk to them again, I'll ask about what else it comes with.

$2500 is too much here, too, I think. I wonder if there's been a spike in prices due to people thinking they can get into machining while under quarantine?

I'm beginning to think this is too big anyway.

I looked at all of the 12" lathes sold by Grizzly and PM and they are all wider than 24", most list a width of about 29". From what I understand the 12" Craftsman was really just a 10" Atlas lifted to give it a 12" swing, but with the same bed width which is why yours is narrower than most of the 12" lathes you are looking at.

With your width constraints you may find that your best option is an older 10-11" lathe with a QCGB.

None of the current lathes under 12" have a full QCGB, but vintage USA and older imports from the 80s did. Something like a Jet 1024 for the imports, and most of the old USA made lathes of this size had them as an option. The Southbend Heavy 10 and many 11" lathes have a 1-3/8" spindle bore which would be more than your current lathe which I assume is around 3/4". Some of the later 10" lathes had a 1" spindle bore, and most of the 11" lathes have a 1-3/8" spindle bore so trading a little swing for a QCGB, longer bed, possibly a bigger spindle bore seems a fair trade.

I think you are right; I need to look for 10"-11" lathes with a QCGB and I'd get a bigger spindle bore.

That dimension is roughly 17-18"

Thanks. Just to confirm, and show everyone what I'm looking for, here's a sketch:
laathe depth sketch.jpg
The "A" depth is what is given in the manuals. What I need is the "B" depth. The red lines represent the table and wall. Also, do I need any clearance behind the lathe? I guess it depends on where the cord comes out.

Back