Need forklift advice

How do you mean lock the diff? Like as in open it up and weld it? The turn radius on these things is crazy and that's owed in part to the diff. I can't imagine how it would respond to tight turns with a locked diff.

The tires are solid rubber BTW. I don't know if it is possible to put pneumatic tires on it. But if it is possible, I imagine that would make an an appreciable difference. But honestly I'm just disgusted with this lift and I don't feel like it deserves any special attention.

I agree, a fully locked diff would not be good, but a limited slip kit might be useful, or a remote (air or electric) diff lock might work as well. All the possible solutions really depend on how much you can spend and how much time you have (a) before you need it, (b) to do the mods yourself, (c) what materials are available.

Another thing, is your shop floor hard and flat ie. concrete? if so you could buy or make a set of machine skates for moving stuff around in the shop. That is my plan.

That one will run around on packed gravel, but don't try to take it in the grass unless the ground is really hard and flat. To really run off road, you need much bigger tires or the balloon tires that you see on the turf delivery forklifts.

Something like this would be in the ballpark of having some off hardpack capibility

At the end of the day you are the only one who can decide. It looks like a fairly clean machine, but only you know how rough your ground is, and how often you have to use it. If the price is right, and it will do what you want go for it.

00y0y_ccLBvCUR0NN_600x450.jpg

I replied earlier about a 4WD forklift I was going to look at. Turns out I posted that reply in the wrong thread. It's over here if you're interested.

I drove 1hr:45min this morning to see that forklift and it was an absolute turd. The main mast cylinder was bent and sheared off from the base, but somehow, still managed to lift the mast without falling out the front of the machine, which to the seller, meant it "worked fine." It had no brakes at all. I almost crashed it into my own truck, and would have, had I not thrown it from reverse into forward while it was still rolling back. It was NOT 4WD. I asked the seller to look under the back end (pic attached) and explain to me how the rear wheels were powered. He hummed and hawed for a few minutes before throwing up his hands and saying "well I don't know everything mechanically about these units, but I know it's 4WD." The ad said it was super clean, and it did look super clean from The pictures. That's because they were low res pictures of a botched rattle can job. ALL The hoses were WAAY their life span, with 100% exposed steel braid on most of them, and all of them cracked to the point it was a miracle they even held fluid. The dude had actually spray painted the hoses black to make them look "new." The only honest thing in the ad was that the machine ran, and it did seem to run well. Oh, and the counterweight was hanging at an odd angle which made me question if it was even fastened to the machine. And he had just "assumed" it would fit through a 7' door, hadn't actually measured it, and it was about a foot too tall.

I left there more desperate than ever. I headed back toward the Mahindra dealership near my home with my mind 75% made up that I was leaving there with a tractor. I stopped at a couple machinery sales places I saw along the route to inquire about rough terrain forklifts, which to no surprise, are unicorns. At the last machinery dealer 2mi before the mahindra dealership, they sell LS Tractors. I never heard of them. I looked at an XR4140H tractor and was quite impressed, given my assumption they were a knockoff brand. It seemed very robust and well made. I just looked at it, got a price and a spec sheet, and proceeded to Mahindra where I test drove several tractors. The Mahindra tractors all seemed "OK" but they cost more than the LS tractor and/or had less features for the same price point.

So I went to burger king and sat in the parking lot for a couple of hours researching on my phone and find that (according to "experts" in tractor forums), LS is actually not a knockoff brand; they have been making tractors for years which sold under different names (incl. Massey Ferguson) and are just now in the last few years starting to try to break out and sell directly under their own name. Most of the reviews I read were happy customers and folks didn't have much negative to say about them. So I drove back to the LS tractor place and test drove the tractor. Very impressed. It had nearly 50% more lifting capacity on the front loader than Mahindra and kubota, and it's obvious from the construction that the loader is a much more robust design than the other two. It was easier to drive (being HST) than the shuttle shift and manual units I was comparing at the same price point. The Mahindra did have a better turning radius though, which is a big deal trying to maneuver in my small shop, but the ease of transition for forward to reverse cancels that out (almost) in my mind.

So I bought it. Should take delivery in the morning. This is the most expensive "impulse" purchase I have ever made; costing more than any vehicle I've ever purchased. but I need something, and I need it yesterday. I hope I will not regret it. But I don't know if it's possible to regret owning a tractor. They're so damn useful, for everything.

20180618_092916.jpg

20180618_142611.jpg

Looks like a nice bit of gear, I'm sure you'll find other uses for it. And can I place small bet that you'll have modified it within a year.

And can I place small bet that you'll have modified it within a year.
I'm seeing two possibilities:
1. The previously suggested rear-mount cannibalized forklift mast if I can find one.
2. A modification the front end loader to make it like a 4-link rear suspension. This will allow the front end loader to function pretty much as intended, but keep the load a little bit closer to the tractor, and lift automatically keeping the pallet forks level without need to coordinate bucket tilt and lift while raising/lowering a pallet. The existing bucket tilt cylinders could be repurposed as a tilt "trim."

I need to ask the dealer in the morning what all voids the warranty. Since the loader and the tractor are two separate pieces of gear, I assume they have two separate warranties. But I need to confirm. I don't care about voiding the loader warranty as it seems pretty bullet proof and I doubt there's anything that could go wrong or become damaged that I would need warranty work for.

Not trying to rain on your parade but is that lifting capacity for the loader front or the 3 point hitch? That is a good looking machine. The gears are turning already in the think tank. Some of the guys around here have mounted the fork lift mast on the 3 point hitch which lets them carry extra bales of hay. My loader front can be detached also the hydraulic lines which then can be used for a different attachments. The Otter Company near Lenora, Kansas use their big tractor hydraulic system on a large press to put the curve in the bulldozer blades they manufacture. Let us know how you meet your goals.
Have a good day
Ray

Not trying to rain on your parade but is that lifting capacity for the loader front or the 3 point hitch?
That's a very valid question and you're right for asking it. I did make that mistake yesterday in the parking lot while comparing spec sheets. For first hour I was comparing the wrong number and I thought that Mahindra was pretty well matched to LS. I was comparing the Mahindra 3pt hitch lift capacity to the LS bucket loader capacity. The LS is rated 2,700lbs for both 3pt hitch and front end loader. Spec excerpt attached.

I read some owner feedback about the supposedly "overrated" front end loader capacity of the LS. Multiple owners did pallet lift tests and weren't able to lift more than a 2,000lb pallet. But that seems about right to me. The rating is from the pivot pin, and a center-loaded pallet test is testing 24+" forward of the pivot pin. The other manufacturers are also rated from the pivot pin. I imagine if you had a mahindra rated 2,000lb front end lift, it wouldn't lift more than 1,500lb pallet.

This is still way less than I was hoping for. But if there's one thing I've learned through all this, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Except maybe with a small rough terrain forklift, which is apparently what Santa's elves use to transport pixy dust to Neverland.

That is a good looking machine. The gears are turning already in the think tank. Some of the guys around here have mounted the fork lift mast on the 3 point hitch which lets them carry extra bales of hay. My loader front can be detached also the hydraulic lines which then can be used for a different attachments. The Otter Company near Lenora, Kansas use their big tractor hydraulic system on a large press to put the curve in the bulldozer blades they manufacture. Let us know how you meet your goals.
Have a good day
Ray
Thank you. I will post here any modifications I make. But it might take me a while to muster the cojones to start cutting and welding on a $24k machine that I just bought brand new. I don't know; I'm in uncharted territory. I've never bought any kind of brand new wheeled apparatus and I've never spent this much money on a single purchase except my house.

Screenshot_20180619-062936.jpg

I have a smaller 4wd diesel tractor 20hp w/loader , if I want to pick up heavy things I need the brush hog on the back so the back wheels don’t come off the ground o_O because that’s the breaking wheels . But that makes the tractor to long to get into tight places , I also have a box blade with rippers but it isn’t heavy enough to keep the back wheels on ground.
Was thinking some day I’ll make a 3pt concrete bucket for rear weight.
With that said I love my little tractor it has saved my butt several times when I lived in AR .
Are you getting any implements for the 3pt ?.

Are you getting any implements for the 3pt ?.
Not immediately. I want a tiller, maybe a blade, maybe an auger. But I won't be spending any more in this direction for a while. One implement that I plan to make pretty soon, is the concrete box ballast you described.

@strantor,

Congratulations, that is a great looking tractor.
I think you made a wise decision.

-brino

Back