Need help- 1/16" Roll Pin Stuck...?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an unusual problem. In trying to remove a small 1/16" diameter roll pin that is about 5mm in length,
from the end plate of an air tool part, the pin got smaller and smaller until there was nothing to grab on to.
Is it possible to drill it out? The drill depth is only about 2 - 3 mm. If it's possible, what type of drill bit should I use?
Thanks, I'm trying yo save the part.

I think it's time to get out the Dremel with a very small carbide burr.

Roll pins are heat treated to spring tempers. Some of the larger ones will break. I know because I have broken a few over the years. Best bet is a carbide burr and dremel as suggested.

I have an unusual problem. In trying to remove a small 1/16" diameter roll pin that is about 5mm in length,
from the end plate of an air tool part, the pin got smaller and smaller until there was nothing to grab on to.
Is it possible to drill it out? The drill depth is only about 2 - 3 mm. If it's possible, what type of drill bit should I use?
Thanks, I'm trying yo save the part.

Assuming the roll pin is in a blind hole, get a tiny self-tapping metal screw and screw it into the buried stub. You should then be able to lever out the pin. You could also try a small tap, but the outward pull would have to be absolutely straight since any side pressure would likely snap off the more brittle tap and leave you with a bigger problem.

If you want to try to drill it out, consider this:

A 1/16-inch drill bit = 0.0625 inches

A 3/64-inch drill bit = 0.04678 inches

A No. 52 drill bit = 0.0635 inches (very slightly larger diameter than the pin)

A No. 53 drill bit = 0.0595 inches

A No. 54 drill bit = 0.055 inches

A Dremel in that small a hole calls for steady hand and a very tiny burr.

So a drill press or even a milling set up is out?
I'll try the dremel first.

You might try if you can secure the part in a vise. Can you drill through the part so you could use a pin punch to drive the broken piece out? I know roll pins are made from harden spring steel.

Good luck,

Nope, it's a shallow 3mm deep blind roll pin(1/16") hole. If it were a through hole, pushing it out would be a breeze.
Maybe I can drill out the back end and try knocking it out? But how would I line it up perfectly?
Looks like a ruined part, which I will keep on a pendant around my neck for a while, to remind me to do things
slowly. :) Thank you all.

You could put a small carbide burr in a drill chuck and very carefully do it in the mill. I have done it this way before, just don't get too greedy with the feed rate.

your dentists assistant can be your best friend here. . . ask for a handful of used dental carbides.

proceed very cautiously.

i had to do the same thing yesterday. i have a flex shaft die grinder and it has a tiny drill chuck on the end. absolutely perfect for the job. . . and it was a gift :)

Nope, it's a shallow 3mm deep blind roll pin(1/16") hole. If it were a through hole, pushing it out would be a breeze.
Maybe I can drill out the back end and try knocking it out? But how would I line it up perfectly?
Looks like a ruined part, which I will keep on a pendant around my neck for a while, to remind me to do things
slowly. :) Thank you all.

The roll pin should be hallow. You can try using a small number drill and drill through the center of the pin. This should give you a hole on the other side of the part. Use the same drill as a guide to align the part in your vise. Carefully drill out using a larger drill, you will have a little material left that will have to be punched out with the remaining roll pin. I am surprised the designer would draw up a blind hole in the first place. I guess he wanted you to buy a new part. Good luck,

Back