Need help- 1/16" Roll Pin Stuck...?

Removing the bearings from the end plate is just a matter of using a punch from
a transfer punch set of the diameter that is just small enough to catch
the edges of the bearing, hold at an angle and holding the part in a vise, give it a couple
of good strikes. Sometimes you have to change the punch position to get the bearing out
evenly. it works w/o destroying the bearing.

your wasting your time my friend. that end plate need to be replaced, its all gouged to heck where the vanes and unwanted particles have rubbed on it, if you try to just machine it off, you loose the overall length of the motor assembly and it will not fit correctly in the housing.

I've offed help a couple times before, i may even have one and if i don't i do have access to doctor parts. . . all i need is a number of the part.

your wasting your time my friend. that end plate need to be replaced, its all gouged to heck where the vanes and unwanted particles have rubbed on it, if you try to just machine it off, you loose the overall length of the motor assembly and it will not fit correctly in the housing.

I've offed help a couple times before, i may even have one and if i don't i do have access to doctor parts. . . all i need is a number of the part.

Thank you. The part number is 7003PT Dotco Bearing plate. I'm trying to save it if I can,
it really isn't bad and if the roll pin can be removed, it will work just fine. I've seen Dotco die grinder parts
more beaten and chewed up that still work great. Dotco makes an excellent product. Besides, it's not a waste of time,
it's a challenge worth trying and it won't cost much time. You never know if you need to remove a roll pin from something else.

Update:

David came to the rescue. I sent him the end plate and he managed to get the roll pin out with
no damage to the blind hole! What a friend and what a forum. Thank you all so much.
I will post some after photos when it arrives. Thank you so much David for offering your help/
That was really cool.

Last edited:

A little faith and some good friends go a long way!

From David Smith:

"Emilio--I used my bench top old Dunlap drill press with a Jacobs chuck--I first used a small tapered stone on a shaft to make sure the hole was dead center in the middle of spring pin--I then used a diamond tapered bur to stay centered---I then tried a #45 carbide drill bit which broke after a short gain---then I used a #44 carbide endmill which went most of the way but dulled---I then got to the bottom with another new #44 carbide endmill before it totally dulled---the very thin wall of the pin collapsed and came out with a dental pick then---those spring pins are definitely hard to remove in a blind hole ---Dave

no the hole isn't larger---I milled the inside of the roll pin out till it was thin enough to pull the old one out---the new one I put in is 3/32 so it is probably the same size as the original--the hole is the same----you will know if it fits the locating slot ok---it is very hard to mill out a spring pin because of how hard they are and carbide bits and endmills break easily when they hit the split---at least we got it out----Dave"

Thank you David Smith for the help and sacrifices made in the rescue of my Dotco end plate. :)
I think I owe you a couple of end mills. :)

Thank you David Smith for the help and sacrifices made in the rescue of my Dotco end plate. :)
I think I owe you a couple of end mills. :)
[/QUOTE]

Emilio----no--I can try to just resharpen them--I probably won't need them again--I think if I had used four flute instead of the ones I had(2 flute0 they may have handled the split in the pin without chipping-----anyway I had too much fun as a challenge to need any compensation----my eyesight isn't the best for messing with those tiny endmills--you learn by trying------Dave

Back