Need help- 1/16" Roll Pin Stuck...?

Thank you all.
The part in question is a Dotco die grinder end plate.
The design seems sound but could use a little improvement. i.e. Roll pin hole would be better
with a small slot on the other side and two slots for pushing out the miniature bearings w/o destroying
it to get it out.

Carbide burrs: I have a few of them from dental supply houses as well as Guhring solid carbide drill bits, 1/16"
and dremels/bits. If i were to use a dremel burr, which one exactly should I try? Most are 1/8", too large.
I want to attempt this on a milling machine.

Thanks

Anything small enough to fit in the hole with some clearance. The dental burrs might be the best.

since the roll pin has a slot I don't think a carbide drill bit would work without catching and breaking--I would use a carbide endmill in your mill---since it is a blind hole in the end plate don't try drilling through the end plate or you will lose your seal---I think a small easy out may work---hope you get it---Dave----since it is just a locating pin--if you damage your hole then you can silver solder a pin back in

is this the rear end plate or the front end (near the collet/)? pictures would help. i had a similar problem with what your going thru plus trying to get a bearing out of the end plate. i have a solution for that if you need it.
you may be overthinking the problem. . . pictures. . . ?

A method I've used to remove roll pins from blind holes is to fill the centre of the pin with grease then use a pin punch that's a neat fit in the hole. Give it a sharp hit and the grease will force the pin out hydraulically. I've never done this with a pin as small as 1/16th but perhaps if you tried using the shank of a small drill as a punch it might work.
cheers,
Greg.

This might be crazy, but I've done this with other things. Might have enough force.

Find something that fits into the center of the roll pin hole fairly tight but still loose enough to easily slide in and out. Superglue it into the hole. Pull on the thing you stick in there. I've been surprised at what superglue can hold on to. It might make it more of a mess and glue everything into the hole if you're not careful though.

Works great on broken off headphone jacks in iphones.

Roll pins are larger than the holes they fit into. I'd prefer to set it up in my mill, indicate in the center of the roll pin somehow, and cut it out with a 1/16" carbide endmill except that I can't spin my mill fast enough for that. Feed smooth and slow! If the hole ended up a few thousandths larger it probably won't be as bad as throwing it out.

Can you abandon that hole and drill a new hole elsewhere?

This might be crazy, but I've done this with other things. Might have enough force.

Find something that fits into the center of the roll pin hole fairly tight but still loose enough to easily slide in and out. Superglue it into the hole. Pull on the thing you stick in there. I've been surprised at what superglue can hold on to. It might make it more of a mess and glue everything into the hole if you're not careful though.

Works great on broken off headphone jacks in iphones.

Roll pins are larger than the holes they fit into. I'd prefer to set it up in my mill, indicate in the center of the roll pin somehow, and cut it out with a 1/16" carbide endmill except that I can't spin my mill fast enough for that. Feed smooth and slow! If the hole ended up a few thousandths larger it probably won't be as bad as throwing it out.

Can you abandon that hole and drill a new hole elsewhere?

Thanks, but I can't drill a new hole, it's located to mate with a small slot space for other end of the roll pin.
I don't have access to the mill anymore. I need to find someone I can mail the part to, I would include a drill bit and endmill. 1/16" for the job.

If there is anyone that would like to help, please let me know.
I don't have a 1/16" r8 collet.

Last edited:
wouldn't a ball nose style end mill work better than square end? 2 flute or more? 1/16"

Photos of end plate with roll pin stubIMG_20150201_204155_061.jpgIMG_20150201_204228_024.jpgIMG_20150201_204245_409.jpg

IMG_20150201_204155_061.jpg IMG_20150201_204228_024.jpg IMG_20150201_204245_409.jpg

Thanks, but I can't drill a new hole, it's located to mate with a small slot space for other end of the roll pin.
I don't have access to the mill anymore. I need to find someone I can mail the part to, I would include a drill bit and endmill. 1/16" for the job.

If there is anyone that would like to help, please let me know.
I don't have a 1/16" r8 collet.

EmilioG----You can send it to me for help--no charge--I will PM my address----Dave

Back