Need Help Bringing An Old Elgin Turret Lathe Back To Life!

Exactly if your going to subject the motor to the extremes like you said, a cooling fan is a MUST, thanks for bringing that up, I was gonna say it but not everyone is interested in that extra step.

Almost EVERYTHING Made in USA before 1960 is rebuildable.

It's just a matter of if you have the time, patience, and money & skills. ( One more thing SPACE)

The machine looks like it would be an awesome add to anyone's workshop once it's complete.
Post pic's of the project.

Almost EVERYTHING Made in USA before 1960 is rebuildable.

It's just a matter of if you have the time, patience, and money & skills. ( One more thing SPACE)

The machine looks like it would be an awesome add to anyone's workshop once it's complete.
Post pic's of the project.

It's been sitting in my shop for 3 days so far, and I haven't even turned it on!
3 ph or new motor?

Even if you were to get I new motor I'd get a 3ph motor and a vfd.
When I first got my surface grinder I didn't have a vfd, so I hooked the wiring up to a 3ph motor I had l, ying around, and had it wired to a 220v outlet, and pull started the idler motor to run the grinders motor, then i got my vfd....

Even if you were to get I new motor I'd get a 3ph motor and a vfd.
When I first got my surface grinder I didn't have a vfd, so I hooked the wiring up to a 3ph motor I had l, ying around, and had it wired to a 220v outlet, and pull started the idler motor to run the grinders motor, then i got my vfd....

From your description, I don't understand what you did.

I wired from my 220v single phase outlet, the two legs to TWO of the 3phase motors 3 legs of input wires, leaving one open, I then wired my grinders motor wires to all 3 of the first motors wires so the grinder had 3 legs of input. With the breaker off, I wrapped a wire around the first motors shaft several times, I pulled it, causing it to rotate quickly and turned on the breaker, the first motor is now running off the single phase input, also it is now generating the 3rd leg of power needed to run the grinder motor, turn the grinder on, wallah

If you, attempt this, check the voltage of each leg, I added run capacitors to the first two legs to balance it out because the 3rd leg that was generated was about 244v. My grinders motor was getting hot from the unbalanced input power, I used 25uf caps, it was close enough until I got my vfd
One more thing, the generated power is only gonna be about 2/3rds of the first motors power rating, in my case it was a 1.5hp motor, I needed 3/4hp for the grinder, it ran great

Last edited:
I wired from my 220v single phase outlet, the two legs to TWO of the 3phase motors 3 legs of input wires, leaving one open, I then wired my grinders motor wires to all 3 of the first motors wires so the grinder had 3 legs of input. With the breaker off, I wrapped a wire around the first motors shaft several times, I pulled it, causing it to rotate quickly and turned on the breaker, the first motor is now running off the single phase input, also it is now generating the 3rd leg of power needed to run the grinder motor, turn the grinder on, wallah

If you, attempt this, check the voltage of each leg, I added run capacitors to the first two legs to balance it out because the 3rd leg that was generated was about 244v. My grinders motor was getting hot from the unbalanced input power, I used 25uf caps, it was close enough until I got my vfd
One more thing, the generated power is only gonna be about 2/3rds of the first motors power rating, in my case it was a 1.5hp motor, I needed 3/4hp for the grinder, it ran great

Okay, I get it now, but I am NOT comfortable doing that. Your new name is MacGuyver. Where did you think of that idea?

I read it when I was researching to build my own phase converter, I seen that and was like no s*it huh.... so I tried it and it works, you have to pull start cause there is not start capacitors in that circuit but you can certainly add them

I read it when I was researching to build my own phase converter, I seen that and was like no s*it huh.... so I tried it and it works, you have to pull start cause there is not start capacitors in that circuit but you can certainly add them
*shakes head in wonder*

That lathe is just begging to be put back to use, not much real deep rusting by the pictures. Lots of cleaning and polishing needed to bring her back , painting seems like the hardest thing on it . Getting her stripped and primed will take some time for sure but ,looks worth it.

Back