Need help deciding on a new lathe

Mach_Zero

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone. I have possibly the cheapest 7x14 mini lathe that I got on Amazon. It claims to have a 550W motor and it's just horribly under-powered. It's also, unsurprisingly, about as rigid as a wet paper towel. I knew it would be when I bought it but it was the only one in my budget at the time (like $500).

I've used the crap out of it and made some useful parts, but I've always planned on upgrading eventually. So I've been looking around and I see that Grizzly is having a sale on most of their site.

I'm looking at buying the G4000 lathe: https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-9-x-19-bench-lathe/g4000

I know it has awesome features that my 7x14 doesn't have, like the gear box, steady rest, follow rest, threading dial, better tailstock, etc. But I'm not sure how the power and rigidity compares to the crappy 7x14.

My question is: How much better would this be over the cheap 7x14 in terms of power and rigidity?

This is my first lathe... bought it on Sep 15, 2021 from a widow. That is until recently getting the G0709. So I do not have any experience with a smaller lathe.

After buying it I got a 4-jaw chuck for it made a backplate for it... Got an AXA tool holder... did my first bore, etc. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Here is the thread from when I got it and my journey with it... link to thread.

I initially wanted something like an Atlas lathe, simply because I love how those look.... but this one was for sale locally and I jumped on it...

Last edited:
To your question... The only thing that it really needs is a solid table. The cabinet is on, is just not rigid enough. I plan to solve that issue after we move to Ocala... For now I will continue to use it here.

Let me see if I can add photos of the different projects I have done with it... All I can say is that I am very happy with it...

To your question... The only thing that it really needs is a solid table. The cabinet is on, is just not rigid enough. I plan to solve that issue after we move to Ocala... For now I will continue to use it here.

Let me see if I can add photos of the different projects I have done with it... All I can say is that I am very happy with it...
What kind of depth of cut can it reliably turn? I can pretty much do like 0.010" even on something like 12L14 steel. I was trying to make something out of 4140 and it can only handle like 0.005" max. And form tools are out the window on this little machine.

Machining Delrin...
IMG_5826.jpeg

Making holes in brass inserts for a tungsten sharpener

IMG_5801.jpeg

Handle for the floating lock vise... felt so proud when I made this...

IMG_6077.jpeg

This is the only tasks that fought me and I ended up using the larger lathe to make it... too much chatter with this lathe. Keep in mind that I am new to all this... so user is most likely at fault here...

IMG_6050.jpeg

Modifying drawbar for the milling machine...

Drill and Tap.jpeg

Not going to bored you with more photos... Several folks here have them and they have smaller ones. They can share their opinions.

@Aaron_W needs to chime in... :D

But the offer stands... if you want to bring some material to play with it... you are welcome to do so. I know it is a long drive... but better to test before you put down the $$ on a new one.

Back