Need help deciding on a new lathe

This is the only tasks that fought me and I ended up using the larger lathe to make it... too much chatter with this lathe. Keep in mind that I am new to all this... so user is most likely at fault here...

View attachment 411392
You mean the radius fought you? I know that my lathe can't turn steel with that radius form tool. Did you lathe handle that or is this the part you meant that you used a larger lathe for?

You mean the radius fought you? I know that my lathe can't turn steel with that radius form tool. Did you lathe handle that or is this the part you meant that you used a larger lathe for?
What you see in the photo is as far as I could take it with that tool in this lathe. If I tried to go deeper it would chatter.

Maybe I could have done it had I played around more with the lathe... but since I had the other, bigger, lathe at the other house, I just took the part and cutter with me and did it over there...

Just because... I will grab another piece of the rod and give it another try on this one... challenge accepted, lol.

Last edited:
But the offer stands... if you want to bring some material to play with it... you are welcome to do so. I know it is a long drive... but better to test before you put down the $$ on a new one.
That's a nice offer! I'm tempted, but with gas prices being the way they are it's cheaper to buy a lathe! haha

What you see in the photo is as far as I could take it with that tool in this lathe. If I tried to go deeper it would chatter.

Maybe I could have done it had I played around more with the lathe... but since I had the other, bigger, lathe at the other house, I just took the part and cutter with me and did it over there...

Just because... I will grab another piece of the rod and give it another try on this one... challenge accepted, lol.
I mean, that's already way more than I could do with this little lathe. What size rod is that and what material? Looks like steel probably about ~5/8 - 3/4ish?

1/2"

All that resulted in this...

View attachment 411402
That's awesome! Float lock drill press vise?

The problem is I tend to buy machines understanding their limitations and then proceed to pick projects that immediately exceed those machine limitations lol.

I'm currently making a miniature ball peen hammer as a gift for my dad. I had some 4140 and I even annealed it in my kiln. To get the radii in the hammer head, I ground a HSS form tool. That was a mistake. I eventually fought with it and got it to work, but I felt like I was going to destroy the lathe. I think a slightly bigger lathe would handle that kind of operation.

That's awesome! Float lock drill press vise?

The problem is I tend to buy machines understanding their limitations and then proceed to pick projects that immediately exceed those machine limitations lol.

Yes, a float lock drill press vise... spot on.

I had the same problem... but I really think that it is solved now... :laughing: and I do not even know how to use these, hahahahahha...

IMG_3979.jpeg

Milling Machine.jpeg

I know this is sketchy but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with Vevor lathes: https://www.vevor.com/metal-lathe-c...r-counter-face-turning-driling-p_010812604991

It's a lot cheaper and comes with a brushless motor. It's awfully tempting but I know it's probably not great quality. But I've heard the grizzly lathes are the same chinese lathes just branded by grizzly.

Anyone have experience with vevor lathes?

Edit: The more I look into vevor, the worse it is. Probably a horribly idea and I'll skip those and stick with grizzly if anything.

I'm actually thinking about getting the 8x16" G078 now.

I don't have much space and my only complaint about this version is the horrible compound. I'll get around to mounting a solid tool post on it. But I like having a compound.

It fits in my space better, is lighter, and has variable speed control and reversible lead screw. The bed casting is still thicker than the 7x14 (4" vs 3.25" bed width) so it should be more rigid than the 7x14 even it's not as rigid as the 9x20.

Any thoughts about the 8x16"?

How quickly do you need something? If not immediately, look for something used. It may take a while, but the value proposition is usually better. I had to drive to Indiana to get my used 9x20 G0602/G0752Z, but it was worth the trip. The road trip was part of the adventure. I have a very cramped space in my basement shop, but I made it work. My G0752Z is a healthy step up from my mini-lathe, but it isn't a big Monarch. But I get by within its envelope.

Glad you are not considering the Vevor. They seem to copy designs and then cost reduce the daylights out of them. Fit and finish are not good. Sharp edges on stuff. Missing gibs, stuff like that. They work, but make you work to finish the manufacturing. Basically a rough kit. I have a Vevor arbor press and all of the above applies. There's more, but I won't bore you with it.

Back