Need help on Wisconsin v4 engine

My Hobart welder/ generator has the VG4D, and it sounds like hell when starting.
I have a Hobart welder/generator also but it has the VF4D which is a smaller engine and smaller flywheel---maybe it is a nine tooth
starter.

I would think that all flywheels the same size on Wisc engines would take the same tooth count on the starters, but on ebay most say 10t and some 9t for the vg4d starter.
Dave

I would think that all flywheels the same size on Wisc engines would take the same tooth count on the starters, but on ebay most say 10t and some 9t for the vg4d starter.
Dave
The V4 engines varried from around 107 cubic inches, to 177, It could make sense to have different sized flywheels.

If you believe this listing, the VF, and VG both use the same starter. and lists it as a 9 tooth.

yes I had looked at that ad and my starter looks like the first two starters below it. my starter doesn't have the solenoid mounted on the starter. after looking at listings for new starters with 9t and some with 10t has me totally confused.

The V4 engines varried from around 107 cubic inches, to 177, It could make sense to have different sized flywheels.
I have noticed that, but all different cubic inch engines have a different model number and hp

My machinist partner is a Wisconsin expert. He may have an answer. I'll ask.

jack vines

yes I had looked at that ad and my starter looks like the first two starters below it. my starter doesn't have the solenoid mounted on the starter. after looking at listings for new starters with 9t and some with 10t has me totally confused.
Yea, I found some listings for both the 9 and 10 tooth, for the same engine. I checked the parts manual for my welder, but it just shows the engine, and does not break it down. If Pitt Auto is no help, maybe pulling the starter from your welder and trying it for fit.

Back