Need help on Wisconsin v4 engine

You may have already done this but don't forget to check the whole flywheel. If the drive was not correct it may have damaged the teeth on parts of the flywheel as well. Seen this many times on car and truck flywheels.

You might check wear pattern on 9 tooth gear. If it was fully engaging then the 10 tooth will not engage at all.
Also compare od of gears one on top of the other. You should be able to tell if 10 tooth is too large,(be sure to calibrate your eyes).

Chuck

Wisconsin V4s were very common before better engines came a long . We had them on a Bobcat, conveyor, and pump. They didn't hold up well.

You may have already done this but don't forget to check the whole flywheel. If the drive was not correct it may have damaged the teeth on parts of the flywheel as well. Seen this many times on car and truck flywheels.
at what I can see, the flywheel teeth look good, but I will rotate it completely and check for any damage. I used a divider to check for any differences in the 9 tooth and 10 tooth gears---there wasn't much difference in my crude measurement between the tops of the teeth so maybe either one would work. I think I will clean all the mounting threads and install the 10t starter and give it a try at this time before the snow starts. I will give an update when I find out. thanks for all the help and interest. much appreciated!
Dave *it is already raining now so will have to wait till later.

Last edited:
The wind is blowing and snow flying here right now. About that heated shop?

All ours of that model have the ten tooth pinion.

My guy says it's a must to have the bracket which goes from the starter to the engine.

jack vines

All ours of that model have the ten tooth pinion.

My guy says it's a must to have the bracket which goes from the starter to the engine.

jack vines
my starter bolts directly to the engine(no bracket ) with three bolts. what does the bracket they are talking about do?
since I can't see the bolts because they are view blocked by the sides of the loader and behind the flywheel, I wouldn't know where a bracket would mount or what it's use would be.--is it a just thick spacer? ----* I just found the brackets on ebay and they must just be a support for the back end of motor of the starter to the side of engine. as long as the starter bolts up real snug and stays solid I should be ok till I find or make a bracket. thanks
Dave

Last edited:
well today I got down on the cold ground and put the starter with the 10 tooth gear in the skidloader. quite the job and very cold on my hands, trying to hold the heavy starter up and get the three fine thread bolts started---well anyway it's done now and the motor turns over perfectly without gear grinding noise like the other 9 tooth starter did. when someone had put the wrong starter in It had me totally confused till now. all the teeth in the flywheel gear were not damaged at all thankfully. I also found that the rear starter bracket was on the engine but was bent so it doesn't touch the starter.---on a warm day in the spring I will take it off and bend it back to fit.
thanks for all the support----we now know for sure that a 9 tooth gear is incorrect. for the VG4D engine.
Dave

Back