Need info on slip joint for project

Sounds interesting. I don't understand the "blind head collar" part. Do you have any pics? Would your ideas work for a drill guide jig?
Thanks,
schemer

I don't have any pics. I just made a collar with a step machined onto it. The step is what captured the one side of the sliding block, which the block was a piece of tubing (so hollow). It was threaded with a blind hole to tighten the all-thread into it. The collar protruded through the block just barely far enough so that a nut could be tightened down on it tightly thus allowing just enough clearance for the bolt the spin when adjusting.

Sorry I can't explain it better or have a picture.

I don't have any pics. I just made a collar with a step machined onto it. The step is what captured the one side of the sliding block, which the block was a piece of tubing (so hollow). It was threaded with a blind hole to tighten the all-thread into it. The collar protruded through the block just barely far enough so that a nut could be tightened down on it tightly thus allowing just enough clearance for the bolt the spin when adjusting.

Sorry I can't explain it better or have a picture.

That's fine...I think I know what you are saying. In my case I will have a drill bushing in the hole in the block so I cannot access anything through from the other side. But if I make a stepped collar like you say I could probably figure out a simple way to make that work. I may start simple and if it works, why complicate things.
Thanks,
schemer

Is the load taken under compression or extension?

cheers Phil

depending on the load direction you have a couple of choices

adjuster.jpg
If its a direct load on the thread and no need for any pulling force then just put a little nub on the end of the bolt to locate it in the rectangle block.

adjuster1.jpg
If it needs to take an extension load I would drill and tap the adjusting bolt for a retaining screw inserted through the rectangle block.

adjuster2.jpg
Or you could weld the threaded rod to the rectangle block and use 2 jam nuts either side of a bridge piece to adjust for length

Cheers Phil

adjuster.jpg adjuster1.jpg adjuster2.jpg

For what you are doing. Turn the threads off then cut a grove wide enough for a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw with the threads removed fron the tip. Just drill and tap the block.

depending on the load direction you have a couple of choices

View attachment 92568
If its a direct load on the thread and no need for any pulling force then just put a little nub on the end of the bolt to locate it in the rectangle block.

View attachment 92569
If it needs to take an extension load I would drill and tap the adjusting bolt for a retaining screw inserted through the rectangle block.

View attachment 92570
Or you could weld the threaded rod to the rectangle block and use 2 jam nuts either side of a bridge piece to adjust for length

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the added info Phil. From the choices above the second image looks like what I need. It needs to be easily adjustable but stay in place while drilling the holes into wood. I thought about that design and even have a sketch on my kitchen table but wasn't sure I wanted to drill through the block to tighten that screw. But with a socket cap screw the hole would be whatever size the head measured. And with proper depth control and loctite it may work just fine.
schemer

For what you are doing. Turn the threads off then cut a grove wide enough for a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw with the threads removed fron the tip. Just drill and tap the block.

Now that is a simple way of doing it. I will look into that. Even a couple of properly placed roll pins to line up with the groove would work.
Thanks,
schemer

^^ THIS

You can use a larger set screw and turn the threads off the tip for a better fit, use two screws if you need more load. This is the best solution for a woodworking machine where dust always gets into the parts. Leave a few thou under the screw for dust clearance, use no lube.

If you must use a roll pin, make sure you tap the inside of it so you can extract the pin later. I would avoid the roll pin though.

-Josh

^^ THIS

You can use a larger set screw and turn the threads off the tip for a better fit, use two screws if you need more load. This is the best solution for a woodworking machine where dust always gets into the parts. Leave a few thou under the screw for dust clearance, use no lube.

If you must use a roll pin, make sure you tap the inside of it so you can extract the pin later. I would avoid the roll pin though.

-Josh

Sounds good to me but if I use roll pins I was going to use long thin ones and make it so they could be pushed/punched out like below.
Thanks,
schemer

rollpins.jpg

Sounds good to me but if I use roll pins I was going to use long thin ones and make it so they could be pushed/punched out like below.
Thanks,
schemer

That is the only way to use rolled pins is to drill all the way through. Makes repair/replacement easier.

Back