Need more tool holders

The critical dimension is the distance from the top of your compounf to the centerline of the spindle. Uf this distance is less than the distance from the bottom of the tool holder to the top of the tool, you will not be able to use the QCTP. Shars gives the dimension s on their website. They will show the thickness of the self for the tool holder. Add the thickness of your intended tool to get the total distance. If you are using HSS tools, you can go down a size. This isn't as feasible when using insert tooling. OXA QCTP's are typically aluminum whike AXA QCTP's are steel.

Rigidity is your friend here. RJSakowski has it right with his 'Critical Dimension'. As I said before, I got what was recommended for my lathe's swing - but it was too tall. Fought with cutting the holders down & glad I did. I think a big part of what is lost in translation is we fail to take into account the type of mount we have. No, they don't all just convert over & good to go. Even so, I'd wish for an AXA that needs trimmed holders before an aluminum anything.

if the oversize AXA 5/8" holders are used, you may not need to need to trim anything off the holders and still use 3/8" tooling

I'm starting to get a bit confused. I get the problem with critical dimensions RJSakowski brought up - at present time my machine is apart for cleaning/deburring - I need to put it back together, take some measurements and narrow down my options. I don't have any tooling or ability to precisely trim anything like a tool holder made of hardened steel. That's not something I'd wanna get into as my first project out of the gate.

Let me put this thing back together, take some measurements and maybe then you can help me narrow down my options with concrete figures in front of us.

Last edited:
Winegrower is correct. I'm just in the process of making more room so all my tool holders are within arms length. All 21 of them.
Parting, L & RT turning, combi-chamfer, ext. threading, internal threading, 2 boring, knurling, cove, bead ... that's 11 so far and you will end up doing some special grinds. Changing tooling in a holder tends to take more time than you'd think by the time you get it adjusted on center. Since the purpose of a QCTP is to allow QUICK changes !!!

Back